Chevrolet Chevelle Forums

Chevrolet Chevelle Forums (http://chevelleforum.net/index.php)
-   Chevelle Suspension & Chassis (http://chevelleforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   68 rear end question? (http://chevelleforum.net/showthread.php?t=4667)

JasonBachus68 07-26-2016 10:41 PM

68 rear end question?

I believe my 68 Malibu has a 10 bolt rear end non posi traction. When I pulled the cover off it had a watery grease and will probably need work. My question is what is the gear ratio and what are some of the "don't break the bank" options for replacing/changing/repairing them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chevymaher 07-27-2016 02:25 AM

count the teeth on the ring and pinion. Then divide them for ratio.

What do you want to do and what beaks the bank for you?

JasonBachus68 07-27-2016 08:09 AM

My plan is to make this an every day driver. Not looking for a race car. I am putting a 5.7 lt1 out of a 93 trams am. My original plan was to use the rear end I have but a mechanic friend said that it looked to need new bearings and such because it basically had water in it. I had hoped to use the gears out of the trams am but they are different. As far as breaking the bank, one could say this car already has broken it. Haha

chevymaher 07-27-2016 12:18 PM

Bearings and a gear set is about 350. I just did the vans. If you throw in a new posi at the same time. I got a pro-sieries eaton the whole shooting match all new inside was 750 800 I think 5 years ago on the chevelle. I got a 10 bolt in mine still to. It isn't for sale so all it got to do is be strong and work. It will last me the rest of my sons life. Probably get passed to a grand kid if my son can manage not to destroy the car. Rear end will last forever.

A bearing puller and a press, a magnetic dial micrometer, inch/lb torque wrench and adaptors for the socket. Those are the biggest things you need to beg borrow or buy to do it right.

MIne had rust on a bearing and race on the carrier on inspection. I was doing it anyway but I always look. The vent hole and dew did it in sitting 35 years. But it still worked and was quiet. I drove it and beat on it before it came apart. Ol 307 had no trouble frying the tire LOL. One wheel peel.

vinces427bb 09-10-2017 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JasonBachus68 (Post 61105)
My plan is to make this an every day driver. Not looking for a race car. I am putting a 5.7 lt1 out of a 93 trams am. My original plan was to use the rear end I have but a mechanic friend said that it looked to need new bearings and such because it basically had water in it. I had hoped to use the gears out of the trams am but they are different. As far as breaking the bank, one could say this car already has broken it. Haha

maybe a good running rear axle from salvage yard or craigsList could be installed cheaper???