Chevrolet Chevelle Forums

Chevrolet Chevelle Forums (http://chevelleforum.net/index.php)
-   Chevelle Drag Racing (http://chevelleforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   anyone using nitrous?opinions? (http://chevelleforum.net/showthread.php?t=434)

russ67chevelle 01-25-2010 01:00 AM

anyone using nitrous?opinions?

lets spark a thread here...i havent used a ton of the stuff, but ive seen the gains and boy its addictive as h#%%!!!

seperate regulator big shot plate, 93 nitrous pill is biggest sofar ive used...

anyone else want to talk nitrous?

johnnys1977 02-03-2010 06:46 PM

Al I can say from what I have witnessed. It is very hard on parts!

russ67chevelle 02-05-2010 12:02 AM

it can be, just like anything it MUST be respected, meaning if u load a stock motor full of a big shot of nitrous....power will always find the weak link, but if individual is educated on the stuff and knows what to do and what not to do....thats the trick

Mitchell 02-19-2010 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnys1977 (Post 4987)
Al I can say from what I have witnessed. It is very hard on parts!

Indeed, however if used properly, in the right quantities and with the correct parts combo an engine can last over 100 thousand miles while using lots of nitrous on the weekends at the track.

Mitchell 02-19-2010 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by russ67chevelle (Post 5059)
it can be, just like anything it MUST be respected, meaning if u load a stock motor full of a big shot of nitrous....power will always find the weak link, but if individual is educated on the stuff and knows what to do and what not to do....thats the trick

A stock larger displacement v8 should be able to take a 100 shot of nitrous consistently with no problem at all. There is one thing to be aware of though, nitrous loves to burn holes in cast pistons, however it is easily avoided, it's actually quite simple, never ever ever ever let it ping/knock even for a second while using nitrous with cast pistons. if you want to run more than a 100 shot you should really start thinking about forged internals. never run nitrous on a 2 bolt main small block, and if you are smart, you will build your motor with cheap insurance too (aka forged aluminum pistons) just in case it pings/knocks a little for some reason.

russ67chevelle 02-27-2010 09:52 PM

all good advice! a big chevy crank will take more abuse than a sbc...i am biased,but it is a fact...

with all the info on nitrous on the internet, if one is careful and cautious it can be soooooo much fun

Mitchell 03-02-2010 05:15 PM

I just made a deal to trade my used turbo 350 for a new built turbo 400, I am planning on buying a B&M torque master 2400rpm stall torque converter and I think after that I should be able to run a decent bit of nitrous on my small block... someday IF I ever get any money.

65chevelle 03-21-2010 12:53 PM

My dad uses a 150shot in his '99 stang but every day he regrets not going with a supercharger or turbo. Would of been similar in price and wouldn't cost him 50-75 bucks for refills every night at the track along with systems frying and breaking... Also if your using it in a street car check the local laws, people tell him if he ever gets pulled over or in a wreck there is a HUGE$$$ fine here.

Mitchell 03-23-2010 07:09 PM

screw the local laws, they never ever ever look under your hood, not unless you do something stupid like let on to the fact you are using illegal stuff. another thing is idk where you get off saying nitrous and superchargers are the same price... I could set up an elaborate nitrous system for much less than 2000 dollars, and the cheapest supercharger i can buy is out of the box 2000 dollars, plus i'd have to make a few changes to my set up to get optimum performance from it, and it wouldn't give me near the increase in hp as a good nitrous set up would. last thing i have to say is if hes frying things he's doing something wrong... too much ignition timing, not enough fuel etc. something like that. or he's just running too much for his set up and needs to build the engine differently. (when building a nitrous motor it's all about heat management, this means proper exhaust valve timing is key, and good exhaust scavenging/flow, that's why most nitrous cams have wider LSAs and and higher intake centerlines, and they are almost always dual pattern cams with more lift and duration on the exhaust side)

smokenjoep01 07-27-2010 12:54 PM

This is my kind of thread. I use nitrous on my worlds quickest street ridden VRod. Going on its seventh season and havent had to adjust the valves yet. hundreds of runs a season in the hot southern climate. Its all in the set up. Looking forward to squirting my bowtie!