Chevrolet Chevelle Forums

Chevrolet Chevelle Forums (http://chevelleforum.net/index.php)
-   Chevelle General Talk (http://chevelleforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   What Did You Do To Your Chevelle Today (http://chevelleforum.net/showthread.php?t=2138)

flash 09-04-2011 08:24 PM

What Did You Do To Your Chevelle Today

I put a spacer between the carb (Edelbrock) and intake due to it flooding sfter start up and smoking .Its been like this ever since we put the new motor in ,hard to crank after sitting for a few minutes and the smell of raw gas out the exhaust .This spacer for whatever reason fixed the problem .

Krille 09-05-2011 01:53 AM

Changed oil to 20w-50. 5 psi at 650rpm when hot anyway....

Derek69SS 09-05-2011 11:23 AM

Nothing yet.

But I just finished re-wooding the coilbox in my Model T. :) I'm just about to ready to head out the door, taking the kids for a ride to Grandma's house in it.

When I get there, I plan to fix the leaky valve-stem on the '66 Malibu wagon.

Derek69SS 09-05-2011 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flash (Post 26955)
I put a spacer between the carb (Edelbrock) and intake due to it flooding sfter start up and smoking .Its been like this ever since we put the new motor in ,hard to crank after sitting for a few minutes and the smell of raw gas out the exhaust .This spacer for whatever reason fixed the problem .

I believe it's a heat issue with those edelbrocks, a carb spacer with gasket at each end to act as thermal-breaks slows the heat-transfer to the carb, so the carb stays cooler. When you'd shut the car off, the gas would heat up and expand, and dump a bunch of fuel into the intake.

flash 09-05-2011 12:38 PM

Derek ,you described it perfectly .I cant believe how simple of a fix that was .

70SS396 09-05-2011 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flash (Post 26955)

I did the same thing to my newely installed Edelbrock carb. It had a Holley SA 770 which was way too much for my motor so I swapped it out for an Edelbrock 650. Runs a lot better, no pump shot hesitation anymore either. I also leaned out the idle mixture a bit.

I also replaced the lug nuts on my new Centerline wheels. Summit had sent me the open ended lug nuts when I wanted the closed end ones. I got them last week but just got around to installing them today.

flash 09-05-2011 03:27 PM

I had planned on cleaning the El Camino today but its been raining all day not that Im complaining .We really needed the rain although we are having tornado's forming all around us right now and they terrify me.

Rharp 09-05-2011 04:41 PM

I also had to put a spacer under my edelbrock 650.
Put the carb on about 2 weeks ago and whenever it would get hot and turned off it seemed like the heat was boiling the fuel. Then when I fired it back up it would spit and sputter for a while.
Just got back from taking the wife and kid out to lunch to a local burger joint. We went about 50 miles and it ran great. Runs alot stronger then it did with the Rochester quadra jet on it. I think the air up here is too thin for that carb. Could not get it to run right no matter what we tried.

Ms Grumpy 09-05-2011 06:00 PM

I pulled it out and took it for a ride to the gas station. The last time I was out I left it on fumes. The weather was in the 60's and overcast, but boy did the motor love that cool air.

SS Shaun 09-05-2011 09:16 PM

i looked at it :)