Chevrolet Chevelle Forums

Chevrolet Chevelle Forums (http://chevelleforum.net/index.php)
-   Paint and Body (http://chevelleforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Door hinge bolts,paint or not? (http://chevelleforum.net/showthread.php?t=1406)

grandsport 11-15-2010 05:39 PM

Door hinge bolts,paint or not?

Working on the jambs and hinges now. Replacing the hinge bolts,should they be painted or black phosphate?

Ms Grumpy 11-15-2010 05:51 PM

I was pretty sure that they were black when we were looking for them. Here is one of the sets that I found.

http://www.ss396.com/mm5/merchant.mv...chevellecamino

grandsport 11-15-2010 05:57 PM

Thanks for trying Nancy.:p What you have there is a hinge rebuilding kit.My question concerns the bolts that go into the body.

Hank70SS 11-15-2010 06:15 PM

Pretty sure the hinges, bolts and jambs were painted after the doors were hung. Of course I'm usually wrong so they probably need to be black.

Seriously, the hinges were body color, I doubt they painted the hinges then mounted them, too much time and effort for a cheap car. I have not seen a Chevelle with phosphate bolts on the hinges. Of course it's not something I focus on when looking at a car. I'm sure someone will be able to answer for sure.

grandsport 11-15-2010 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hank70SS (Post 18704)
Pretty sure the hinges, bolts and jambs were painted after the doors were hung. Of course I'm usually wrong so they probably need to be black.

Seriously, the hinges were body color, I doubt they painted the hinges then mounted them, too much time and effort for a cheap car. I have not seen a Chevelle with phosphate bolts on the hinges. Of course it's not something I focus on when looking at a car. I'm sure someone will be able to answer for sure.

I'm pretty sure they too. My next question is how does one get nice painted bolts on without damaging the paint?

Hank70SS 11-15-2010 08:30 PM

Now that's way out of my league. Fisher Body assembled the bodies. The whole thing was sprayed with lacquer paint, baked and wet sanded.

Best I can suggest is paint the bolts body color. Once they've dried, thoroughly, place a plastic bad over the bolt. The kind you get at the grocery store. You can fold it and use a couple layers. I have done that with other painted bolts and it seems to work pretty good. Doesn't crack the paint like a bare metal socket will.

grandsport 11-15-2010 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hank70SS (Post 18712)
Now that's way out of my league. Fisher Body assembled the bodies. The whole thing was sprayed with lacquer paint, baked and wet sanded.

Best I can suggest is paint the bolts body color. Once they've dried, thoroughly, place a plastic bad over the bolt. The kind you get at the grocery store. You can fold it and use a couple layers. I have done that with other painted bolts and it seems to work pretty good. Doesn't crack the paint like a bare metal socket will.

Sounds like a good idea.I don't want to paint the bolts and hinges together.

Hank70SS 11-16-2010 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grandsport (Post 18715)
Sounds like a good idea.I don't want to paint the bolts and hinges together.

I thought you were trying to make it look factory original. In that case you paint them together and maybe get a few runs in the paint too. :D

smoke' em II 11-16-2010 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hank70SS (Post 18712)
place a plastic bad over the bolt. The kind you get at the grocery store. You can fold it and use a couple layers. I have done that with other painted bolts and it seems to work pretty good. Doesn't crack the paint like a bare metal socket will.

x2 :D , but I cut 1 1/2" squares out of the thicker clear freezer bags. This also worked well with the painted body color trunk hinge bolts.

BTW, make sure your sockets are clean before doing this.

Derek69SS 11-16-2010 10:17 AM

Body color... bodies were painted with the doors on.