Chevrolet Chevelle Forums

Chevrolet Chevelle Forums (http://chevelleforum.net/index.php)
-   Chevelle Maintenance (http://chevelleforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Starter Replacement (http://chevelleforum.net/showthread.php?t=4242)

Pyasher 08-02-2014 05:43 AM

Starter Replacement

Just purchased a 1972 Chevelle Concours Wagon 350 4 barrel (born with 2 barrel) TH350 auto car. I drove it about 3 hours home yesterday from a Chevelle show in Cleveland and after sitting in the garage for a few hours it would not start.. It was giving the indication the battery was bad. (clicking from solenoid) Since the battery was 5 years old I purchased a new Optima and initially it clicked then it started and continued to. The starter makes a wining type noise when starting. Should I replace the starter and if so what type would you recommend? It is not a show car - I bought it to be a driver, however originality is important to me. (so is starting every time)

Thanks in advance!

Perry

Ken Hayes 08-02-2014 06:59 PM

I got a mini starter in my 70 and love it.

carpoor 08-02-2014 07:29 PM

If not going for 100% original, get a mini starter. Lots of late model Chevrolet cars and trucks had them. I had to pull and reinstall the starter in my 72' before I pulled it apart for the can swap and to fix panel gaps. It was an S.O.B. with everything in there. I put the engine in today with the starter already bolted to the engine. I am absolutely going with a mini starter on my 69'.

Pyasher 08-02-2014 08:29 PM

Thanks for all the replies. Mini starter it is. What is the best source for one? Local auto parts store?

flash 08-02-2014 09:55 PM

I would check Summit Racing and they are close to you .Were you at the Northern Ohio Chevelle Show ?

carpoor 08-02-2014 10:45 PM

If you want to use a GM part, source one from a 96'-99' Chevy/GMC truck with a 454.

I would avoid buying one from DB electrical.

Pyasher 08-03-2014 06:43 AM

John - yes I was at the show Friday. When I got home (2 hours south) and parked the car it would not restart that evening. We were going to take the Chevelle to the Mid Ohio races on Saturday. Good thing it gave out when it did in my shop.

Carpoor - A 96'-99' Chevy/GMC truck 454 starter fits my 350? Just checking to be sure before I invest. That sounds like the least expensive option and will allow me to keep it GM...

When I change the starter I am also going to switch to a top post positive cable.

Thanks again guys!Bowtie smiley

Quadracer392 08-03-2014 08:10 AM

Here is the one I used for my build. It's a lot smaller than the stock one and is high torque. I've only use it a couple handfull of times but it seems to be quality, plus the price is decent.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/371013530895...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

carpoor 08-03-2014 08:16 AM

Yes, small block and big block starters are the same. Just make sure to match it up to the proper size flex plate. (153 or 168 tooth) From my research the one I mentioned is for a 168 tooth application. I found them on rock auto for $123, new - no core charge. Then Google the 5% discount code to save a few bucks.

Hank70SS 09-03-2014 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pyasher (Post 54202)
John - yes I was at the show Friday. When I got home (2 hours south) and parked the car it would not restart that evening. We were going to take the Chevelle to the Mid Ohio races on Saturday. Good thing it gave out when it did in my shop.

Carpoor - A 96'-99' Chevy/GMC truck 454 starter fits my 350? Just checking to be sure before I invest. That sounds like the least expensive option and will allow me to keep it GM...

When I change the starter I am also going to switch to a top post positive cable.

Thanks again guys!Bowtie smiley

As carpoor said Chevy used the same starter on both big and small blocks. They switched to the smaller high torque starters in the 90's. I replaced the starter on our 94 motorhome (454) last spring. It's the smaller high torque starter but has the same mounting bolt pattern as the 454 in the Chevelle, big boat anchor starter. I didn't pay a lot over $100 at the local AutoValue store for a rebuilt GM starter. I probably could have got it a little cheaper but didn't have time to shop around.