Chevrolet Chevelle Forums

Chevrolet Chevelle Forums (http://chevelleforum.net/index.php)
-   Chevelle Introductions (http://chevelleforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   New Owner of a 71 Chevelle SS clone (http://chevelleforum.net/showthread.php?t=1043)

71 Chevelle SS 07-06-2010 09:07 PM

New Owner of a 71 Chevelle SS clone

I am very pleased to announce that I am the proud new owner of a 1971 Chevelle SS clone. :D

I drove the car home this afternoon, which was a 2 hour, 100+ mile trip in 90 degree weather. The car runs very well, with a very strong engine, turbo 350 trans, and posi rear end. The engine is a newer 350 crate with less than 5k miles, long tube headers & full dual exhaust w/super turbo mufflers (sounds mean). The trans was rebuilt and obviously has a shift kit because I can chirp the tires in all 3 gears ;)

I was disapointed to find Drum Brakes on all 4 corners. The car is almost dangerous with its serious lack of stopping power. What is involved in a front disc brake conversion?

The interior is very nice with no major issues. It has buckets, console & gauge package. The Black vinyl seats are in great shape with plenty of support and no rips or tears. The carpet is very nice as well. All of the glass is very nice - the windshield looks like it's new, with not a single chip or scratch.

The paint is Burnt Orange Metallic with Black SS stripes on the cowl hood & trunk. It has SS badges on the grill, fenders, rear bumper, interior door panels & steering wheel.

The bodywork under the paint was poorly done and will need to be redone (probably this winter). I will have it resprayed in the original burnt orange color. The car came from Georgia and is basically RUST FREE, which is always a plus. The frame, trunk, floor pans, body panels and engine compartment are all solid, clean & rust free. The chrome bumpers & trim pieces are all in very good shape.

All-in-all, the car is a great cruiser and will be show quality once the paint is redone...I look forward to taking it to local cruise nights and shows.

My first modification will be the front disc brakes and 17" wheels & tires (leaning towards Torq Thrusts).

That's all I have for now...I am one happy camper...Pictures will follow in the next day or so ;)

-Scott

grumpy 07-06-2010 09:27 PM

Congrats on your new purchase. There are many companies that sell complete disc conversions starting at about 600 bucks. Please post some pcs when you can.

Dave

shadowgray396 07-07-2010 12:21 AM

Scott, welcome and congrats on you new car. Disc brakes are an easy conversion to do and will help the stopping. 4 wheel disc brakes would be even better. Looking forward to seeing some pictures.
Ray

grandsport 07-07-2010 08:37 AM

Hi Scott,welcome! Always glad to have another happy person here.Waving

Mike 1972SS 07-07-2010 08:39 AM

Scott, the car sounds great. I like the color combo and the fact that is rust free is a big bonus. Have fun and take it easy until you get it stop better. Can't wait to see the pics.

Mike

flash 07-07-2010 11:18 AM

Welcome ,and orange is a cool color. I have a 72 SS El Camino that is flame orange metalic with black stripes. You dont see many orange chevelles or elkys.

71 Chevelle SS 07-07-2010 09:49 PM

Thanks for the greetings ;)

I have been checking into front disc brake conversion kits ($500-$600) as you said...That will be a nice change from the drums for sure.

I got the green light from my wife to get the car painted ASAP...she's a cool wife and is aware of my passion for cars...I found a shop that has done several Chevelles recently and we worked out a very fair deal to smooth & paint the panels in the burnt orange color with black SS stripes + clearcoat.

Flash - I just recently sold my 1972 Monte Carlo which was painted Orange Flame Metallic - a very rare color on an A-Body car. Looked great in the sun :D

grandsport 07-07-2010 09:58 PM

Orange you glad you got it?:p

andy 07-08-2010 12:44 AM

Welcome!
Nothing wrong with a clone. :-)

Rank 07-08-2010 09:08 AM

I like to call 'em "tribute cars"!