Chevrolet Chevelle Forums

Chevrolet Chevelle Forums (http://chevelleforum.net/index.php)
-   Electrical (http://chevelleforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   wiring a 350/454 with HEI (http://chevelleforum.net/showthread.php?t=2525)

SS Shaun 02-02-2012 09:47 AM

wiring a 350/454 with HEI

ok so a friend and i are talking about our Chevelles and we spoke to a few guys and all of them told us the same thing.
[quote] all you need to get your motor running is 3 or 4 wires. one to the starter one to the alt one to the distributor coil or hei and a ground[\quote]

so basically what they are saying is provide power to those items and we can take a chance at starting our motors. Is that correct? if that's the case why are the engine harnesses so expensive. We both feel there has to be a lot more to it then that. here is what i said we needed

battery positive to a high amp fuse something like 150amp from there to the starter. One wire from the starter battery post to the alternator power post. here is where we are confused. do we run a wire from the alternator to the HEI or do we run one from the battery to the HEI? According to my father he always told me all you need is the battery to start your car the alt does the rest. so that's why i was thinking from the battery to the HEI. is that all? besides running the 12v ignition to the starter and a 12v ignition to the alternator so it knows to turn on?

Hank70SS 02-03-2012 04:10 PM

The engine harness has a switched hot lead from key to ignition coil/HEI. Your car would have been points ignition so that wire would have been a resistive wire that drops the voltage to the coil to about 9 volts while running so the points don't burn out. An HEI can use a regular wire and run a full 12v but it needs to be switched. If it comes from the bat or alt you can't turn the car off. Wire to oil pressure sending unit, not needed to run car. Wire to wiper/washer, not needed to run car. Wire to starter solenoid to start car. Wire from starter back to coil to provide a full 12v while starting, not needed with HEI. Wire from battery to starter is not part of a harness and it's not fused, not on a 69. Forward light harness has the wiring for the voltage regulater and alternator. Main feed from battery to fuse block, power for everything but starter motor. It' s protected by a fusible link. Alt output wire also goes over to main junction near horn relay to provide power when engine run and charge battery. Alt output should run car but the output is not smooth, not a constant 12 volts. Battery helps smooth out the alt output.

SS Shaun 02-03-2012 10:14 PM

yeah thats what i was thinking about. i am just trying to figure out what i can do to get this car running with in the next 3 to 4 weeks. i would buy a new engine harness but i still owe as of right now $900 for my t56 but once i pay that off the lq9/t56 is going to go on the shelf until i can sell the 454