Chevrolet Chevelle Forums

Chevrolet Chevelle Forums (http://chevelleforum.net/index.php)
-   Chevelle Engine & Trans (http://chevelleforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Small Block to Big Block (http://chevelleforum.net/showthread.php?t=4713)

size-o 02-01-2017 12:48 PM

Small Block to Big Block

At the risk of repeating this question, my 68 chevelle has a 327. I want to go with a 454. From what I have learned the mounting point on the frame does not need to change. I think it all comes down to the engine mounts themselves. Will the 327 mounts bolt onto the 454 and the engine should drop right into place, right:confused: Or.... and this is where I get stumped

Any help is always appreciated!!!

Perry

RBeckman 02-01-2017 06:20 PM

I'm pretty sure you have to get big block motor mounts and then it will attach to same frame mount.

chevymaher 02-01-2017 08:04 PM

Small block and big block mounts are the same. They interchange. Mounting points are in the same place on both.

So no matter what part you use on either. The motor is in the exact same place.

I had big block mounts on my small block. Way way back when this POS still ran and drove under its own power.

RBeckman 02-01-2017 09:53 PM

I did some checking and Big block and 327 have different part numbers for motor mounts.

shadowgray396 02-01-2017 11:01 PM

The frame mount is the same and should bolt right in with the 454 motor mount

chevymaher 02-02-2017 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RBeckman (Post 61743)
I did some checking and Big block and 327 have different part numbers for motor mounts.

They do and there are different style of mounts. There are several actually. Some have the little hook inside the rubber so the motor doesn't flop free when it breaks. Some don't.

But the block mounting holes are in the same places for both. As is the hole for the pin where it goes through the frame. Those dimensions are universal.

Trivia all motors bolt right in if you have the motor mount to the motor. 4 cylinder iron duke. 4.3 6;s like my van has. small block and big block. Bell Housing bolts all mate up. Chevy was pretty good about that stuff back then.

I always liked the old impala deal. The little cables that wrapped on the bracket on the exhaust manifold to tie the motor down when the motor mount broke.

When I was young i was mixing and matching parts building cars alot. I had many a imapla motor in chevelles and camaros back then. V8's going in monzas. Nothing was sacred.

size-o 02-03-2017 08:23 PM

Thanks everyone. Much appreciated.

Perry

size-o 02-05-2017 01:42 PM

I'm having a hard time deciding which way I want to go. Now I'm thinking about going with an LS376. Motor pumps out 525HP vs my original plan of 540 CI pushing 700HP. Reliability is playing into my plans, plus my wife is saying "why 700HP??"...:rolleyes:

Do the LS engines just drop in place? Any ups and downs or does it just boil down to preference?

Again, I appreciate your thoughts.

Perry