Chevrolet Chevelle Forums

Chevrolet Chevelle Forums (http://chevelleforum.net/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://chevelleforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Sucks gettin old (http://chevelleforum.net/showthread.php?t=4739)

Ken Hayes 04-21-2017 08:31 AM

Sucks gettin old

Well, 2017 has been THE PITS for me so far with the COPD, the almost stroke and this weekend I spent it in the hospital with AFIB. (not a way I wanted to spend my bunny day) My irregular heartbeat was from 90 to 195 and bouncin all over the place. With meds and 3 IV's in my arm they finally got it down to a satisfactory level. Have no idea what caused it but I'll tell you what.......I'm lucky to be on this side of the dirt.

Doing real good now with all the numbers back where they're supposed to be. Felt great to get a FULL nights sleep without having someone comin it to get vitals or getting a poke for the blood lab. Now if I can just get rid of this naggin cough I'll be all set.

flash 04-21-2017 11:17 AM

Hang in there Ken ,hope to see you in Ohio .

shadowgray396 04-22-2017 10:50 PM

Hope you get to feeling better. You be out there Cruisin in that Chevelle in no time.

Ken Hayes 04-28-2017 09:41 AM

Went and saw the heart Doctor on Wednesday. Said my numbers are still lookin good, gave me a EKG test.......looks satisfactory. I told him the meds are really messin up my body and head. Cant sleep, no energy, bad cough........so he said to stop takin 2 meds and just continue with the BP meds and Eliquis. Last night wasn't much better as far as sleep. I looked up the meds he took me off of and it said they could stay in my system for a month.........DAMN, I HOPE NOT!!

Hank70SS 04-28-2017 04:07 PM

Well at least the EKG was okay. The other drugs probably won't hang around that long. Maybe a trace but hopefully the affects will be gone long before that.

shadowgray396 04-28-2017 06:18 PM

The problem with these drugs, they have to give you another one to reverse the side effects of one of the others. I been going to a naturopathic doctor and using young living essential oils to avoid all the drugs. Working for me.

Ken Hayes 04-28-2017 09:05 PM

Today I took the Eliquis and both my BP meds......WHAM knocked me for a loop. My head goes from one thing, to another, to another, to another.....cant concentrate on anything. I called the Docs office and talked to his head nurse.....she couldn't understand why this is happening to me........I says can it be the Eliquis not mixing with the others? Its possible.........I cut the yard today...usually takes me just under 1 hr. It took me almost 4 hrs to do........pooped out in nothin flat. Tonight I took another Eliquis (I take 2 a day) all by its self and I'm ok so far.

FlintTony 04-29-2017 04:12 AM

Ken, after my second heart attack, the Doc had me taking 4 different pills everyday. I hated what the pills did to me. I quit taking the bp ones first, then just flat assed stopped taking all of them. I do eat a low dose aspirin everyday, but nothing else. I feel a lot better without them.

Ken Hayes 04-29-2017 06:11 PM

Tonight I'm not taking anything and we'll see how it goes. I'm ready to stop them all. The BP meds are for congestive heart failure.......I don't have that.........so they're out. 2 of the heart meds they already told me to stop taking em. The blood thinner I think is the one that's zappin all my strength and makin my mind go haywire. Its for blood clots...the MRI showed NO CLOTS anywhere.......stopping that tonight.

I have a feeling that this whole AFib thing was brought on by me being stupid. I got a nebulizer machine on Wed, Apr 12th....on Thur, Apr 13th I think I over used the doses I was supposed to do.....Fri Apr 14th (Good Friday) I woke up hard to breathe so I did another dose on the nebulizer........went down stairs and took my BP.....numbers were off the wall and it showed irregular heart rhythm.........must be a mistake......took it again.....same thing, so I told Judy somethings wrong...........she took me to ER and the rest is history. I read up on the nebulizer.......and it said over use can cause irregular heartbeat..so maybe that was it in a nutshell.

FlintTony 04-30-2017 06:06 PM

You feelin any better today Ken? Hope so.

Ken Hayes 05-01-2017 06:57 PM

Hey Tony, guess what.........I ended up in ER again Sunday morning. Even though I stopped takin the meds on Saturday night they were still in me and makin me hard to breathe so Judy took me back. I hate it when the nurses say "Hi Ken".....like they know me...........THEY DO !!

After 2 IV's, shot of somethin in the IV, steroids and a breathing treatment they let me go home after 8 hours. Doctor gave me a script for Prednisone which is a steroid that messes with one of the BP meds. Judy said try em both and see what happens.........HOLY CRAP.......LA LA LAND !! Told her that it..........no more meds period.

See how everything goes tomorrow and Wednesday.

flash 05-01-2017 08:32 PM

Wow Ken ,they are really putting you through the ringer ,hope you are better soon.

FlintTony 05-02-2017 04:39 AM

You sure that the Doc doesn't have it in for you somehow? Maybe you dated his wife way back when and he is getting even with you! Good luck!

Ken Hayes 05-04-2017 12:59 PM

Called my regular Doc yesterday and said I'm stopping the Lisinopril (a BP med). He said why? Told him the side effects are driving me crazy. I cant stay focused on anything, I'm dizzy, I'm tired all the time, I feel weak and hard time breathing. Oh I don't think its the Lisinopril that's doing it. I told him that is the ONLY med I'm taking now. And if he looks it up, these are the common side effects for men. So he said go ahead and stop for a while and come in sometime next week.

I'm not a Doctor nor have I ever claimed to be, but I think I know my own body after 70+ years. The "Stroke" they said I had was the result of a pinched nerve that I have in my spine. (a Chiropractor confirmed that) The "AFib" I had was brought on by my own stupidity of over using the Nebulizer machine in a 1 day period. (the Respiratory guy in the hospital confirmed this & taught us how to use the machine properly)

Will update in a few days.

FlintTony 05-05-2017 04:58 AM

I've been saying for years that I think the Docs are in cahoots with the pill manufactures. They must get paid for prescribing all the shit they do, that most people do not really need. Hang in there Ken, and let us know how you are doing.

mestorod70 05-05-2017 02:11 PM

Ive been taking lisinopril for a few years.
Im at the point where i take every other day...my idea.
Yes it can make you dizzy...ive always been dizzy...lol.
When i first started my bp was borderline...139 over 70 or something.
I check my bp every few days...most times im in the 122 range.
If i go to the doc it skyrockets up into the 150 range.
Its called white coat syndrome....back from doc...120s again.
PS im 6ft and 160 lbs wet.

carpoor 05-06-2017 11:49 PM

Suddenly I feel fat... I am 173 +/- and less than 6ft tall.

Ken Hayes 05-12-2017 10:17 PM

Hey Tony, guess what?? I ended up in the hospital again late Sunday night with AFIB. ER nurses are like.....your here again??

This time wasn't real bad, heart rate only went up to 160. On Monday afternoon my nurse was in the room when all of a sudden my rate went down to 57 and stayed there..she looked at me and saw me jump a little. Are you ok she asked......I said no, I have a real heavy feeling all around my heart area. She wasted no time and called "Rapid Response" to my room. In an instant I had about 10 people in my room all over me. They hooked up a EKG machine and put "paddle patches" on both sides of me chest. They looked at the results and did a few more things and said he'll be ok now. It scared the crap outa me for sure.

I feel pretty good now that they took 2 meds away and changed 2 others. I don't have any side effects so far..........we'll see how it goes.

FlintTony 05-13-2017 05:09 AM

Have they done a nuclear stress test on you Ken? Good luck!

Hank70SS 05-13-2017 07:00 AM

Wow Ken, hope they get things figured out. That has to be pretty scary.

Ken Hayes 05-15-2017 10:12 PM

After getting out on Thursday afternoon I felt pretty good. We took the car out on Saturday and around 3:45am I woke up Judy........."We gotta go". I was in AFIB again. It wasn't as bad as before but still bad.

IV, breathing treatment and meds. They upped my Amoidarone (heart med) from 200mg to 800mg a day for 3 weeks then down to 400mg. He said I need to get more in my system. Got out this afternoon. All the nurses said "See ya in a few days".....I says BULLSHIT and they all laughed.

Only 2 things left if it comes back. 1. Shock me into rhythm 2. Surgery to go into Heart and cauterize the part that's not workin right. DONT KNOW ABOUT THAT ONE !!

flash 05-16-2017 06:13 AM

Wow Ken ,you are being put thru the ringer ,hang in there .Get better soon ,hope to see you in Ohio if I make it .The Chevelle wont be there though.

FlintTony 05-25-2017 03:59 AM

What's new Ken?

Ken Hayes 07-28-2017 02:53 PM

Well I'll tell ya, since Valentines day I've been in and out of ER 23 times. Mostly for my breathing.......heart is doing fine but my COPD is kicking my ass big time. I did have a Heart Cath done and was told there is no blockage what so ever.....that was like a 1,000 pounds taken off my shoulders.

I'm now seeing a Pulmonary Doctor to try and do something about my COPD. He put me on Symbicort along with my Spiriva. Its helping me a little bit better. He did tell me some news that really got to me. "Ken, your lung capacity is now at 52% and it wont get any better" So now I just take it easy and not out do myself.

Hank70SS 07-28-2017 06:33 PM

Wow, 52%, sure that wears you down quickly. I guess the only good thing is you're old like me and don't have to work as hard as you use to. So we'll both do what we can and try to enjoy life.

Ken Hayes 08-07-2017 04:37 PM

Was going to spend this past weekend in Ohio at the NOCC show. We were going to leave at 7:00am on Friday. Around 1:00am I got up to take a whizz. After I did I looked in the toilet to see nothing but solid blood. Man that scared the crap outa me. I woke up Judy and showed her, she started crying and said get dressed we're going to ER. I happened to have a specimen bottle at home so I filled it up and off we went. Girl at the counter said "Morning Ken, breathing problem again?" I showed her the bottle and her eyes popped out and said I'm getting someone for you.

In ER they originally thought I had a Bladder infection. The Doctor asked me what Meds I was on. I showed him the list and he asked why I was on Xaralto and Baby Aspirin? Told him my regular Doc said to take the aspirin and my Cardiologist said to take Xaralto. Well both have thinned my blood out too much. That Doctor and a Urologist both told me to stop taking both of them. Since I stopped I feel a lot better and have more energy.

flash 08-07-2017 07:33 PM

Glad you are doing better .I had to have a scope run up my Pee hole this morning looking for something that had left on its own ,not a fun day .

Ken Hayes 08-08-2017 08:07 PM

John, I go in next Tuesday for the "Scope Test" to see if anythings in my bladder.

flash 08-08-2017 09:05 PM

Not a fun thing for sure especially with an audience in the room .

Ken Hayes 08-15-2017 07:34 PM

Well I went in today and I told him something that I forgot to say at the Hospital. When I was taking a whizz, it kinda hurt and something besides blood came out. Could it have been a Kidney Stone I asked cuz I never had one before. He said its possible it was a stone or some kind of clot. I go back on Sep 7th for the scope test.

Hank70SS 08-16-2017 04:03 PM

I've had a number of kidney stones. Sometimes the pain starts in the back, kidney area. Moves to the front or starts there and moves down and in towards the groin. If you didn't feel any of that it could have been a stone that formed in the bladder. Not as common but it does happen.

Guess you'll have to wait until they stuff a garden hose up there and look around. :eek:

Good luck Ken.

Ken Hayes 08-21-2017 12:46 PM

Waitin for a call back from the Cardiologist's office. Seems that the Amiodarone he has me on is makin my hair fall out big time, also losing weight (a lot). My hair never came out when combing it before. Now the combs gets full of it.

RBeckman 08-21-2017 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Hayes (Post 62500)
Waitin for a call back from the Cardiologist's office. Seems that the Amiodarone he has me on is makin my hair fall out big time, also losing weight (a lot). My hair never came out when combing it before. Now the combs gets full of it.

Ken you just liked my haircut so much you wanted the same..ha. Hope all is well

Hank70SS 08-21-2017 06:00 PM

Just think of all the money you'll save. Ask Ric, he hasn't had to pay for a haircut in years.

Oh, BTW. I looked in the rearview mirror on the way home from Back to the Bricks. The rear window looked like crap. If I didn't know better I'd say you never went near it. Better hone up on your window cleaning skills.

Ken Hayes 08-25-2017 08:45 AM

Been a week since I stopped the Amiodarone pills and now when I comb my hair maybe get 2 or 3 strands in it. HOT DAMN !!

Hank, that's strange cuz our windows were spotless. Maybe you need to get glasses.

Hank70SS 08-25-2017 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Hayes (Post 62508)
Been a week since I stopped the Amiodarone pills and now when I comb my hair maybe get 2 or 3 strands in it. HOT DAMN !!

Hank, that's strange cuz our windows were spotless. Maybe you need to get glasses.

Good thing on the pills Ken. I'll check into glasses or maybe the rear window is just bad. I'll let you know what I find out 'cause I'm sure you did a good job cleaning it.

Ken Hayes 09-15-2017 10:50 AM

Ok, been 21 days now. Only pill I'm taking now is an occasional aspirin every now and then. I got a little bit more get up n go now. Still got my hair too.

Hank70SS 09-28-2017 04:41 PM

Sucks getting old. Yup, have to go for a colonoscopy tomorrow. Talk about a pain the $%^. Then there's today and the prep. Take these pills, drink this crap and don't eat. Oh, and stay close to a bathroom.

flash 10-01-2017 08:49 PM

Been there ,done that ,what a Shitty day .

FlintTony 10-03-2017 04:12 AM

Did the test go OK Hank?