Chevrolet Chevelle Forums

Chevrolet Chevelle Forums (http://chevelleforum.net/index.php)
-   Chevelle Drag Racing (http://chevelleforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   I need new axles (http://chevelleforum.net/showthread.php?t=255)

piette 01-03-2010 07:07 PM

I need new axles

So with my new found horsepower and torque, and the 5 speed and a set of slicks, I'm thinking I need to upgrade the rearend in my car. Currently I have a 12 bolt with 3.73 gears and limited slip.

I do want to keep my current 12 bolt, but have no ideas what axles to go with. I also though t about changing to a 3.90 gear as I think the car will drive down the street better with just a touch mor erpm. Seems like with the TKo600 right now my car wants to run down the street right at an rpm that makes it want to buck and jump all the time, so I figured I would add just a bit more rpm and it should be great.

Any suggestions you guys can give would be much appreciated. I was also thinking I should do the c-clip eliminator thing I hear about, as I think this car could go 10's now, maybe.......

Thanks for the help

jeff

OutCast 01-03-2010 07:44 PM

I just had Dave rebuild a 12 bolt for me. We went with all Strange components. The 33 spline axles are monsters, and really nicely made. The folks at Strange are also very good to deal with. We also went with the Moser/Ford style ends. Also upgraded to 1350 series yokes for a little extra security.

http://thumb16.webshots.net/t/75/175...6SLWyOz_th.jpg

http://thumb16.webshots.net/t/69/769...6QAXvmi_th.jpg

Andy69 01-03-2010 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piette (Post 2112)
So with my new found horsepower and torque, and the 5 speed and a set of slicks, I'm thinking I need to upgrade the rearend in my car. Currently I have a 12 bolt with 3.73 gears and limited slip.

I do want to keep my current 12 bolt, but have no ideas what axles to go with. I also though t about changing to a 3.90 gear as I think the car will drive down the street better with just a touch mor erpm. Seems like with the TKo600 right now my car wants to run down the street right at an rpm that makes it want to buck and jump all the time, so I figured I would add just a bit more rpm and it should be great.

Any suggestions you guys can give would be much appreciated. I was also thinking I should do the c-clip eliminator thing I hear about, as I think this car could go 10's now, maybe.......

Thanks for the help

jeff

I've got a nice 4.10 posi I'll sell ya for $1000 :D

piette 01-03-2010 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy69 (Post 2124)
I've got a nice 4.10 posi I'll sell ya for $1000 :D

Wouldnt that be irony at its best!!

Jeff

68 nova 10.5 01-04-2010 08:23 PM

You need to do what outcast did at a minimum. c-clip eliminators tend to leak.I have a steel main cap on the torque side of my spool(differential) it is from mark williams you should also have your axle tubes welded to your center and upgrade to 1/2" wheel studs with a support cover. This may seem a bit overkill but a manual trans is alot harder on the rear end.

Andy69 01-04-2010 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piette (Post 2142)
Wouldnt that be irony at its best!!

Jeff

lots of iron-y, and I'd even throw in a 2.73 10-bolt open for even more iron-y :D

piette 01-05-2010 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68 nova 10.5 (Post 2438)
You need to do what outcast did at a minimum. c-clip eliminators tend to leak.I have a steel main cap on the torque side of my spool(differential) it is from mark williams you should also have your axle tubes welded to your center and upgrade to 1/2" wheel studs with a support cover. This may seem a bit overkill but a manual trans is alot harder on the rear end.

So assuming you had a basically empty 12 bolt, what would you go with for parts?

Jeff

68 nova 10.5 01-05-2010 11:34 PM

moser 33 spline axles with bearings for moser housing ends (big ford) moroso brute strength post unit or eaton clutch type, the 1350 style yoke and mark willams main cap. t/a support cover or equivelent also a good time to upgrade to disc brakes . note the housing ends dictate a diffrent caliper bracket so they need to be matched if you stick with the stock brakes the hole in the backing plate needs to be bigger............Glenn

1966_L78 01-06-2010 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68 nova 10.5 (Post 2756)
moser 33 spline axles with bearings for moser housing ends (big ford)

Glenn,
when runningthe Ford housing ends with aftermarket axles, would these still use the axle retention setup, as a stock Ford does?

68 nova 10.5 01-06-2010 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1966_L78 (Post 2868)
Glenn,
when runningthe Ford housing ends with aftermarket axles, would these still use the axle retention setup, as a stock Ford does?

Exactly the reason to use them it is a far stronger design