View Single Post
Old 02-05-2010, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougA View Post
I have been to many,many dragstrips over the years,as driving a truck cross country for 35 years,I get laid over on the weekends,if I'm close,I usually go to the local dragstrip.The most entertaining one I've ever been to was Union Grove back about 25 years ago.Have never seen so much beer consumed in one place,I fit right in,lol.The owner,I believe was Broadway Bob,he was riding around on the nose of a jet car called the Green Mamba.There was also a combine demolition derby going on,plus one of those giant mechanical flame throwing robots eating junk cars.And crazy drag racing.They don't have venues like that anymore,I hope they save the place.
Broadway Bob no longer owns it, but he is still there almost every time it is open as far as I know. He operates a "toyshack" on the property yet. Its all toy cars and such. That guy was wild!!! The stuff he would do to rile up the crowd was amazing. Also the Green Mamba is still around as well. I see it once year at my local track yet, they bring it in for the last night on the circle track of the year, its called the "eve of destruction". Its just a madhouse of car destruction and mayhem. Every year they stack 4 or 5 cars ready for the crusher on top of each other, and the green mamba backs up to them, lights the jets and burns the entire pile down to nothing but a huge molten mess. Its pretty cool and the kids around here think it is the greatest thing ever!!

Jeff
2006 Cadillac CTS-V LS2 and a 6 speed