View Single Post
Old 04-07-2010, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72malibu View Post
I am new to the game. I have a 72. I blew my 350 and dropped in a 454. I love cruising in my car and running parades and stuff. I recently went to the drag strip and got to run my buddy's trans am and I am hooked! I have a 700r4 trans. I desperately need gears. I have a stock 10-bolt malibu rear end. I don't know what gears I have but i have been doing some research and I think I have 2.56's. I definitely want to go higher and switch to a posi. I need some direction. I need information and places where I can find what I am looking for.
Welcome to the site. You should introduce yourself in our welcome forum. Everyone looks for new members to say hi from there, if it matters to you.

With the torque of a big block, you shouldn't need tractor gears to go fast, probably somewhere between a 3.50 gear and a 4.11 gear. You do have a great transmission, with the aggressive first gear, and nice high overdrive.

I think you ought to be looking to beef up if you plan on romping on this thing and expect any sort of longevity. You need either a 12 bolt GM rear, or a F@rd 9" rear...and definitely some sort of limited slip carrier like a true-trac, or posi, or the like. The tough part is that you'll need $2000 plus to go buy one, built and ready to bolt in. 10 bolts like yours (and mine ) don't do so well with stout engines or hard launches.