View Single Post
Old 09-30-2012, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleming23 View Post
Been trying to tune my new 4L80 for WOT shifts but I keep throwing the stupid alternator belt, or flipping it, nearly every time I get on it hard. Also difficult to do on any roads around here and half expect the local police to be waiting for me at the front of the neighborhood every time I come home... I picked up a late 80s 454 crank pulley with a wide 5 rib alt. belt but could never find the water pump pulley I wanted/need. Anyway, decided to order a Black Mountain Precision 1" cog belt system this evening. From everything I read, this should help with my alternator belt issues.

Now just need to identify why I have what seems like a motor miss at 5k in 1st gear when accelerating at WOT.

Ready to get back to the track and run this thing!
I had the same problem with my first Chevelle. It turns out the alternator pulley was worn out. The belt is supposed to be suspended above the bottom of the groove in the pulley and ride on the tapered part. When the pulley wears out, the belt will fall to the bottom of the groove. It won't matter how much you tighten it, it will slip. I'll bet money if you replace the belt and alternator pulley, you won't have that issue anymore.

As far as the miss goes, check the seat pressure on your valve springs. You may have a bad spring floating when you get up in rpm's. It could also be a pick up coil or ignition module. ...Just some things to check.