View Single Post
Old 02-22-2010, 12:52 AM

I was going to wait until I posted some videos with my contraption, but since this thread surfaced, what the hey...

My camcorder happens to (and maybe this is a standard size) have 1/4"-20 female threads in the tripod mount boss. I used that hole, some bolt/nuts/flats/locks, a steel shelf reinforcer, and 2 cable ties to rig up a sweet little camera support.

The shelf reinforcer is something I had laying around. Probably 12 ga. sheet metal bent into a "C" , with each side of the C being about an inch. The length is 18"...kind of like a piece of 3 sided square tubing.

One end has a 1/4"-20 stud with a flat/lock/nut for the camera. I screw the camera on a few turns and snug it in place by tightening the hardware against it when it is pointing the right direction. The bolt is also fastened onto the "C", on the bottom horizontal side. Once I got it mounted, I bent the "C" out until it was pointing out of the windshield right, from its vantage point right between the seats, at shoulder level.

The other end of the "C" gets zip-tied to the 2 headrest posts on the passenger front seat.

It works perfect. I have tested it a bit, and it holds steady. I need to get out to somewhere desolate to make some fun vids, but it is all set for when I get the chance.

It works well.