View Single Post
Old 11-03-2015, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBeckman View Post
So let me get this straight, you took a head unit and wired it to the main unit and made a nice mounting system for the head unit and main unit? I like the way it looks.
Thank you.

Yes I bought the plugs for the head unit and faceplate. Soldered wires between them. Made the plastic plate that snaps on the head unit. Attached one plug to it. For ease of installation and future repairs work needed. At least it is serviceable.

Face plate side I attached nuts to the face plate with JB Weld. Attached the plug permanent but on a stand which could be cut and replaced if service was needed also. Plug itself is unaffected.

In the dash I made 2 mounting brackets from alloy angle stock. They bolt together around the main dash brace. So it was not altered. You can see the filler plates I made for the knob holes in the pic with the wires hanging through the dash. I used the outer head unit plastic look nice square. Cut it to fit and attached to the faceplate. To give the finished look like it belonged and was made for it illusion.

Kenwood was the only place that sold parts for doing the extention wire. Face connectors is what they are called. PacParts sells them. Kudos to Kenwoods tech dept for knowing about their stereos and willingness to help.

I have had many many chevelles. And it was a life long thing to have a good stereo that look right and fit. Because nothing does as any chevelle owner is painfully aware of. I been messing with this for 6 months and this is the second stereo I tried it with.

It is very time consuming and alot of hand made stuff. But well worth the effort for future people thinking of doing it.