View Single Post
Old 02-06-2013, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65MalibuSS View Post
Something similar happened to me. It was the ground strap on the firewall. It was not fastened properly and it arched against the engine block at high speeds causing the engine to stall. It was a 69 Malibu. Hope this helps.
The engine itself is grounded through the battery negative cable. The rest of the car is grounded through the pigtail off the negative cable attached to the passenger side fender. The ground straps from engine to firewall were added to suppress electrical noise in the radio. If the car was ordered with no radio these straps were not even installed. If the pigtail to the fender has a bad connection then current will flow from chassis through the ground strap, through the engine then through the negative cable. That's not how it's supposed to work though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkalin View Post
A friend of mine had a Camaro that used to do this. He took it to many different garages with no avail. I read up on it and told him it might be his coil. When it heats up the coil screws up inside. We were out together and it happened. We got a cup of cold water and poured it on the coil and the car started right up. He replaced the coil and never had any more problems.
I had a coil fail like that but it shouldn't kill power to the whole car.

Because the engine stalls and all power is lost I would suspect a problem with the positive power side of the wiring not the negative or grounds. Not sure how different the AAW wiring is from original. Original +12 comes from pigtail off positive battery cable, through a fusible link to a junction block mounted on the rad core support behind the battery. From there to the driver's side to the main splice. From there to the horn relay, through another fusible link then to the bulkhead connector to the fuse block. You need a meter or test light to determine where you have power and where you don't when you lose all power. Below is diagram of the original wiring, you can check all connection points to make sure they're clean and secure.
Attached Images

70 Chevelle SS396(454), M20, 3.73
My Chevelle