View Single Post
Old 02-24-2013, 11:00 AM

I think what some people dont realize or may forget, Flowmasters were originally designed for all out performance and a "race car" type sound on the street. To have this sound there are some drawbacks. The "droning" at certain RPMS's with the original performance and race series, this a by product of the series.

After complaints from people putting these on their "daily or occassional drivers" regarding the droning, they developed other lines that elimnate the droning while still providing performance and some sound.

If people dont want the droning, they need to look at Flowmasters other series of mufflers and not put mufflers that were intended for all out race or serious performance on their vehicles.

I have original Flowmaster 40 Series on the 67 Chevelle and on my SS Monte Carlo. Do they drone at certain RPM's- YES. I know that and expect it, so it doesnt bother me. Im going to put the new Flowmaster single chamber race series on the Chevelle, so Im sure it will be worse, but Im after performance and will deal with the by products.

As a comparision, I have the Flowmaster Super 44's with true full 3" exhaust with super flow cats and an "H" pipe on my 502 powered suburban. There is none of the aforementioned drone, and they sound is great. The truck is pretty much a daily driver, so I selected a muffler that fit what I wanted. It worked out well.

There are alot of manufacturers that have followed in Flowmasters steps.... I wonder why ? They have added to or made slight changes but the overall design remains the same, depending on the series of muffler.

As with most other things, you get what you pay for. You need to select a muffler that fits your driving patterns and intended uses. There are tons of choices. As another comparision. My brother in laws almost 900hp small block powered 66 SS Nova, he had the polished 3.5" magnaflow race mufflers, and went to the Flowmaster single chamber race mufflers....he didnt like the magna flows.

Again it all comes down to your uses and needs. Flowmaster makes a great product, as do alot of manufacturers. So choose wisely grasshopper...