View Single Post
Old 05-14-2016, 03:55 PM

Wiring on a 71 is different than a 70, so I'm trying to understand how the 71 is supposed to be. I would guess the red wire, connector N, feeds battery power to interior and ignition switch. Purple wire should come back from ignition switch through neutral safety switch to starter. It powers the solenoid to crank the starter. Red wire to alt charges the battery when engine is running. Don't see battery cable in diagram but you said it's on top terminal.

I think I understand what you're saying now and honestly sounds like it was wired up correctly. Alt, power to fuse block (red wire) and battery to top lug on starter. Purple wire to spade terminal. Pink wire to coil on distributor. You don't need the yellow wire or ballast resistor since you have an HEI distributor. Don't see anything wrong. Leave the purple wire off and connect battery. If it starts cranking then there's something wrong with the starter. Shouldn't crank until you feed 12v to the spade lug, purple wire.

If it doesn't start cranking then check voltage on purple wire, it must have 12v but it shouldn't. Not until you turn the key to start. Hope you have a meter, you really need one. Under $10 at Harbor Freight.

70 Chevelle SS396(454), M20, 3.73
My Chevelle