Thread: Wiring
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2010, 08:20 AM

I guess I had more time than money so I redid my harnesses myself.
I did one harness at a time. Then one wire at a time.
I unsnapped the bulkhead connector for the forward wiring harness and then checked, cleaned, and redid each individual wire if needed. Hooked it all back up.
Unsnapped the bulkhead connector for the engine harness and did the same thing.
With both connectors loose, I took the fuseblock and dash harness loose and cleaned, cleaned, and cleaned, the fuseblock and cleaned, checked, and redid what wires were needed.
Then moved on to the harnesses back to the rear end of the car.
Took a while but I am happy. I had lots of new wire, soldering gun, and heat shrink, and connectors.
I also used up a few roles of the cold shrink tape.
When I got into it, I was amazed at how many wires had been spliced over the years and just twisted together with electrical tape over them.
Real pain to rewrap the wires with the cold shrink tape. Looks good though.
I did have a friend helping me. He has a lot of knowledge of electrical systems and we installed some inline fuse links.
Everything works except the horn and all those parts in the steering wheel, horn relay, and horns are new. I'll get it figured out. I can ground it out and the horn works. Something in the wheel I think. Not bad for a car that sat here at the house with the engine/tranny out of it for 17 years.
If I had the money, I would have went with the plug and play harnesses but close to $1500 bucks.
Best of luck.

Last edited by Herbie67SS454; 01-13-2010 at 08:32 AM. Reason: add