View Single Post
Old 02-04-2013, 09:41 PM

Unhappy Chevelle lost all power while driving, later regained power after sitting.

Background:

1970 Chevelle
383 SBC w/ longtube headers
200-4R Tranny
Electric Fans connected to a 170* Thermostatic Relay sensor
Stereo Amplifer in the trunk
Retrosound Radio
AAW Classic Update Wiring Harness

I rarely drive the car and it has left me stranded probably 7-8 times out of the possible 20 times I have driven it.

RECENT:

I recently took it to a stereo shop to have my Retrosound replaced and some amp wiring re done. On my way home I noticed that at a stoplight with my left blinker switched ON that my tach was at 1200 RPM and then dropping to ZERO(back and forth) with no audible fluctuation of the engine (false indication). I turned the blinker off and it didn't do it again.

Right after that the light turned green and I proceeded. About 30 seconds later my dash lights shut off and I notice that I'm just "gliding", the car shut off on me. I quickly put it in Neutral while rolling to attempt to restart it with no luck, the car had lost all power. When stopped all lights came back on but when I turned the key there was absolutely nothing, no sounds, etc.

My wife came and got in the car while I pushed her for about 200 feet.

Once she put it in Park, I attempted to start it, it then started cranking, and gave it gas and it finally started.

Why ALL THE SUDDEN did it start cranking once the car rolled for a little while??

I have sense checked, and cleaned up all interior wiring, engine bay wiring, rebuilt the distributor with a new coil and module from Accel...Also re set the timing.

Test drove it and acted great for 20 mins and then when I got home it died on me in the driver like it did originally. The ignition switch is original to the steering column which is from 1970.

What do you think about the starter solenoid? If it overheats can you lose all power like that?

I cant drive this thing cause Im afraid I will be stranded.

PLEASE HELP!