View Single Post
Old 05-17-2013, 06:02 PM

I scored an SLP cold air induction set up today. Basically that is my theme, back when this car was new - it could have had a package added, or the package could be ordered over the counter and installed buy the customer. I was 12 in 1991, so I missed out on a chance to own one when new. I am building sort of a replica... I now have all of the visual parts that you would see. My headers are the standard 4 into 1 vs. the tri y design, but those are damn near impossible to find. In my 17 years of dabbling with these cars, I have only owned two sets of those headers. (both sets were bought used)

My tune will be much better, the SLP "chip" was a joke. I've seen a few scans of what they changed, most people say they run faster with a stock chip and their base timing bumped. I'll also be doing some internal mods to the intake runners to make more power and give it more top end charge. I want it to look like it would have in 1991, but run much better. The SLP-equipped cars typically ran 13.9 - 14.1 in the 1/4. Pretty weak, my stock-ish and high mile 91' Z28 went 13.9 with very few "mods." (muffler, UD crank pulley, 52mm TB, free mods) I credit my tuning of the ECM and suspension for the performance of that car. (That same car went 13.30 traction limited with a cam, headers, small converter, and porting of the stock intake tract. It picked up only .6, but 8+ MPH) The SLP cars got: cold air induction, UD pulleys, TB air foil, performance "chip", tri Y headers, 2 OTL cat back exhaust.

I would love to have a set of the 17" Ronal wheels like the Firehawks had, but they are hard to come by. I have settled on a set of CCW Classics eventually.