ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > Chevrolet Chevelle Garage > Paint and Body

Old 04-07-2010, 12:10 AM

Default Polishing wiper trim

Been removing the scratches out of the trim piece that the windshield wipers sit on when off on the cowl. I have sanded the trim piece with 600 and used 000 and 0000 steel wool on it to get it smooth, but have not had much luck to get it to polish out. The window molding polished out great. I plan to use 1500 sand paper on it tomorrow and see if that helps. But was wondering what to use to polish this piece? Being so big makes it a little harder to work with. Was wondering what has worked for others. Can I get a mirror finish on it? So far I have about 6 hours of work into it.
Ray

Last edited by shadowgray396; 07-05-2010 at 09:30 AM.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:18 PM

I used a bench grinder and just removed the grinding wheels and put a buffing wheel on it. Then i used two kinds of compounds on it, one medium and one fine grit, and it came out like a mirror. Oh yea, i bought the compound "sticks" at Home Depot.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:14 PM

Stainless likes getting hot when polished so a buffer is a must. Harbor freight sells a grinder/buffer combo for under 80 dollars and I run a buffing wheel on both sides. The deep throat means you can reach hard to get spots. Home Depot sells the sticks for about four dollars and you would probably want White Rough. Ryobi puts it out and they identify it by the letter "H".

They appear harmless but buffers like to eat your fingers so gloves and complete attention are a must.