ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > The Backyard meeting spot > Off Topic

Old 12-04-2018, 05:58 AM

Default Hank...Computer questions?

My Dell laptop was slow, took a long time to get going, mouse wasn't acting right. A black box with some gooffy assed writing would pop up every now and then. Kept having to re-start it to get it going. It is about 3 years old. I was doing a "system restore" on it. It stalled out and the blue circle just kept spinning. I shut the bitch down by holding the power button for about 10 seconds. When i tried to start it again, all I got was a black screen with an arrow. I tried all kinds of shit to get it going. No luck, as I have no idea what I'm actually doing. Took it to the repair joint. He says it is "corupted very bad" and has to install all new stuff. He has had it for 6 days and says it is still updating. When it gets done with that, he has to put the junk from the little brain thing that I transfered all the shit from the computer to. I think it's called an external hard drive. Question is should i just throw the piece of shit in the swamp and buy a new one? He is charging me 160 bucks for all this repair.
Old 12-04-2018, 01:13 PM

LOL sounds like windows normal operations to me. Get umbuntu. Computer is fine it is the operating system that is the issue.
Old 12-04-2018, 04:52 PM

If he is installing Windows 10 then yes it could take days to update. It's one update after the other, they don't bundle them together anymore. I think chevymaher meant ubuntu. Yes that or another Linux based OS doesn't have the bloat of Windows. I haven't looked at any of them in a long time but finding drivers was a problem before. Another problem is the learning curve and I know you. Let's face it you're not real tech savvy and you'd probably end up throwing it in the swamp.

As for the laptop, it really should be ok. I have an Acer laptop that's even older. You can't get much of a laptop for under $500 these days so $160 isn't too bad. I've found that my laptop and my wife's will grind to a halt when there's a WIndows update pending. Restarting and letting the update install fixes that. They will also slow down when there's a lot of cached data. Web form info, images, etc. You can download CCleaner, it's a free app and does a good job of cleaning things up. You can select what you want removed. Caution, removing cookies means you'll have to log into websites after cleaning as your login info is gone. Also cleanup the registry when you run it. Unless you want Avast antivirus software installed there's a checkbox on the install screen, uncheck it before the install.

Windows caches a lot of data that's supposed to speed things up when browsing the web. Problem is once it caches so much data it spends more time thrashing through it instead of just downloading it again. I'm looking for a new laptop, not too seriously though. This laptop started on Windows Vista, now Windows 10. When cleaned up it does what I need it too.

70 Chevelle SS396(454), M20, 3.73
My Chevelle

Last edited by Hank70SS; 12-04-2018 at 04:56 PM.
Old 12-04-2018, 06:19 PM

Holy Shit Hank!!! I smoked a bowl and that stuff that you posted is waaaaaay too complicated!

I am using the computer now. He put a whole new set of Windows 7 internal guts back in it. This bitch is rockin now. I use Internet Explore for that browser thing, but he put Chrome and Firefox ones in it too. They are a lot different than the 7 thing, so I'll keep using that one. All my folders from email are gone, but I think somewhere in the old emails is most of that shit anyway if I ever need it. Lots of stuff aint the same for some reason on here now.

I took my other junker laptop in to him. It hasn't had any updates since 2014. He thinks he can make it better. If not, it's only a few hundred feet to the swamp.
Old 12-05-2018, 07:08 AM

Windows 7 and XP were probably Microsoft's best OS's. Problem is they are no longer supported. So if some stuff doesn't work, apps, websites, etc. you're out of luck.

Oh, I misspoke. This laptop was running Windows 7, now 10. The desktop was running Vista, now 10.

70 Chevelle SS396(454), M20, 3.73
My Chevelle
Old 12-05-2018, 05:28 PM

The computer guy said that there are lots of problems with 10. I don't need any more stinkin problems. When 7 dies, then I'll have to deal with it. Hell,I may be dead before then. Pictures are all gone. I think most of the building we did down here are on the old cell phone. I'll have the kid at the phone store back home see if he can get them out and put them on here. All my music is gone too. I thought that when I hooked that external drive thing up, it would magically save all that shit. Nope.