ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > Chevrolet Chevelle Garage > Chevelle Interiors

Old 02-15-2015, 02:34 PM

Got the license plate holder on. New little plastic square dealies and screws looks awsome.

Got the water bottle holder installed and the old water bottle with a hole in the bottom in it for looks.

I bent a wrench in the vice with a sledge to get the bottom motor plate bolts tight. Mashed a finger when a wrench slipped. Got a crush/cut deal. Really enjoyed that.

But they in. I painted the bolts washers with POR for the rust protection. Who I kidding it for the look also. I went through all this it only takes a second.

Next trip down here i be scouting the next thing to do. Gas tank straps and tank ,sway bar would be my best guess.

It is really nice having windows in. Dust cant get on the dash now. Added Bonus.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:25 AM

I made the new seat latch catches for the new recline position. That was a all day job. 2 days to be exact. Work perfectly. I will just shave the rubber stops when I redo the seats.I just got to get to a welder to tack a couple welds. Right now the post are screwed in. I made the post from hardened bolts. Then cut them down to size. Pinged the thread side so they wont come out. But the slightly turn. A tack will solve that. I really need to break down and buy a new welder mine went the way of father time.

Now that the weather stripping been on and the doors closed a while. They close perfectly. The new weather stripping was adding resistance to closing at first. Now we back to a gentle push and click.
Old 03-03-2015, 07:13 AM

Well I been working on the tank a while now. I about half done woth it. Wife said she don't want it on the car. I got a week left on it. She came down and said don't they make new ones. It holds gas and the safety speech. Tank seems fine but i am just tired of working on it. It worth the money just to get out of the work I got left.

So I going to get a new one. My sending unit only had the fuel line coming out. So while I was tank shopping I saw the one with a return. I like that and I will get one. I am sure I will have a electric fuel pump and a mechanical. So I will need a return for the electric.

I also was thinking of the chevelle running out of gas at a 1/4 tank phenomenon. Looking at the sender it seems easy to resolve. Add a aftermarket fuel pick up on a hose. So the pickup is where the gas is when under hard acceleration.

I started my new parts list. I got the exterior of the car finished. And i will burn the rest of my budgeted money up on interior parts. See how far I get. Regaurdless It will keep me busy till I need more parts.
Old 06-24-2015, 11:24 AM

Well for better or worse I ordered a radio for it. A Soundstream VR345b. Same radio as in the van except smaller removable face. I think the face will fit.

I will make custom remote wiring and unit in the glovebox and face only in the dash. This will be a major undertaking. may ruin the radio but I gonna give it the old college try. All I know is I sure dont want a factory or factory aftermarket look alike job.

I would like actual sound. I think this is the hardest custom hurdle in the project. Not cutting the dash and making it look like it was a factory install.
But that is what this is all about making a dream car that never existed. My car in high school I couldn't afford to have or build. Day 2 as I have heard it called. Day 2 just is 40 years later.

Nothing will fit this car. Same thing I ran into on the van.

Last edited by chevymaher; 07-20-2017 at 07:30 PM.
Old 06-24-2015, 11:40 AM

Looks like a cool unit.
The dash on my car was cut when i got it so for me its easy instal.
I know you will make it look good....post some pics of the progress.
Old 06-25-2015, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestorod70 View Post
Looks like a cool unit.
The dash on my car was cut when i got it so for me its easy install.
I know you will make it look good....post some pics of the progress.
Thank You.

It came I took the face plate and set it in place. It is tight but you can see the chrome underneath it. I will have to take the heater control screws out to get it in it is so tight.
Remote wiring harness is the hardest part. Second issue is the buttons to tell it the faceplate is closed so I can put the DVD's and CD's in. It is bigger than I thought. 300W I thought it was smaller for some reason. I over it tho.

Anyway it be a job if I can get it to work. Wish me luck. I think I can pull it off tho.
I got a engine to put in and regular make money type work killin me right now. But this is next on the list.

Post Pics? Have I ever been lacking on that since I got here? They be there.

Now I got the piece in question I am Mad Scientisting how I gonna "Get Er Done".
First gamble paid off. Faceplate will fit without modification to faceplate or dash.

That was a guess I was in Wal Mart with a tape measuring everything they had and then just crossed my fingers. It impossible to get measurements for custom work for this stuff.
Old 09-29-2015, 02:37 PM

I got so many things to do I just flip a coin and play with what takes my fancy. I been messing with brakes.

Today on a whim I got out the radio. Got the heater control screws in flush so the face plate would fit. I gonna cut 2 pieces from a kick panel which have the same grain as the dash tomorrow to use as fillers to cover the 2 edges so the radio knob holes don't show.

It is working for me. No cutting on the dash is needed and it stays in place. I will make 2 places in the back of the face plate for a bolt and washer to hold it in place. But I got something accomplished anyway.

Last edited by chevymaher; 07-20-2017 at 07:32 PM.
Old 10-14-2015, 02:03 PM

Well alrighty then. I obviously overheated the computer soldering the extention and scrapped the stereo Clyde. Soundstream has no technical support worth a nickle. No parts dept that actually carries parts. A excelent unit if used as is but not one to mod on. To many connections and to small to work with basically.

So after scouring the internet and researching people who have done it. Then researching stereos and companies we have a new candidate. Kenwood tech support is outstanding and they sell parts to the stereos they sell. HUMMMM novel concept.

I talked to them they said it will work as I am describing doing it. I found the parts I need. Ordered the parts and stereo. Parts may take a month but I ordering stuff nobody ever orders and it is a back order. May come sooner but I am just so happy I can get them at all.

So instead of soldering to the circuit board like last time. I am getting the male and female plug where the face connects. Called a face connector, which was rough finding out the name to even find the parts.

Use cat5 computer cable wire and make a wire connector with plugs on each end. Eliminating heat to the existing working circuit board. Tech said that will work fine.
I had nuts and studs on the other faceplate so it will bolt in and the filler panels are made. It looks factory install as seen in the last picture.

No TV DVD CD this time fewer connections and more actual connector width to work with and larger spacing. It has blue tooth sirious radio or however it is spelled. Cd changer control capability. I pod, android controls plays off of a flashdrive. As everything else I keep buying lately it is a marine application.

I still on it and won't give up till i get er done LOL.

Last edited by chevymaher; 07-20-2017 at 08:03 PM.
Old 10-18-2015, 07:24 AM

Stereo came. Hooked it to a battery on the bench. Sounds great. Now I got a long wait for the connectors to see if this works. Made templates and checking clearances. Next I will start cutting plastic for the extension ends to hold the wire to the unit.

I found some nice 2 1/2 inch tweeters with covers that match the back speakers for the fronts. Plan is make a z bracket and they will mount in front of the kick panels by the door without cutting the new parts I haven't even bought yet.

I tinkering along at the moment. I think I will fool with the brakes while I wait on the silly connectors.

UPS guy finally ask what the heck I ordering so much junk for the last 7 years. It been the same guy delivering everything. He came in and looked. He was like a proud daddy. Now show me everything I delivered. That was a good time. Remember the first big boxes that was the fenders and core support. And so on down the line. He remembered the drama and investigation into the missing steering wheel emblem.

Now that it is painted. It sure needs cleaned alot. Boy they sure get dirty just sitting there.
Old 10-18-2015, 09:26 PM

They do need to be cleaned just sitting. Mine gets spider webs under the car from all my friends in the garage. .