ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > Chevrolet Chevelle Garage > Paint and Body
Register FAQ Chevelle Chat Room Community Calendar

Old 11-20-2010, 10:14 PM

Default Rear quarter modification ?'s

Have to put some patch panels in the rear quarters on the 70 turtle, was wondering though what the mass opinion is on welding shut the rear side markers? I've always thought they kind of look out of place anyways, but didn't know if this was okay in the chevelle world? What are your guy's (gal's too) thoughts/opinions?
Old 11-21-2010, 06:24 AM

As far as the look, I guess that's up to you, it's your car. They are a safety thing I believe since the rear tail lights are not visible from the side like they are on most newer cars. 70 also has the side markers in the front. They dropped them in 71 because the front light is visible from the side.

70 Chevelle SS396(454), M20, 3.73
My Chevelle
Old 11-21-2010, 07:43 AM

I really like the louvered bezel on my 72. Not sure if your car has the louvered bezels or not. IMHO the light/bevel brings your eyes off of the huge quarter panel. Breaks it up a bit.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:03 AM

Looks damn nice but only if you "shave" the front also, shave the drip rails and weld modern door handles on ..... its sort of a complete package.

Otherwise just doing the rear markers is like seeing your girlfriend in a hot Victoria's Secret top and Levi's and hiking boots. LOL
Old 11-21-2010, 05:22 PM

I have a lower patch panel(new)for the driver side if you need it ,just pay shipping .I think its about 12 " tall if I remember corectly .

John
Old 11-21-2010, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rank View Post
Looks damn nice but only if you "shave" the front also, shave the drip rails and weld modern door handles on ..... its sort of a complete package.

Otherwise just doing the rear markers is like seeing your girlfriend in a hot Victoria's Secret top and Levi's and hiking boots. LOL
Plan on shaving the doors completely and I dont mind the fronts because they are flush with the body. Maybe if I can figure out a way to counter sink the rear markers so they are flush also and I keep the safety factor. I just don't like that they stick off the body.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash View Post
I have a lower patch panel(new)for the driver side if you need it ,just pay shipping .I think its about 12 " tall if I remember corectly .
PM sent, thanks!
Old 11-27-2010, 06:08 PM

I'd keep it for safety/ insurance liability issues, and they don't look bad in my opinion. If you were looking for a more flush fitting light you could try scouring the junk yards for something that came with a similar size light that mounts from the back

This is a kit Denniskirk makes for motorcycles and custom projects, there are quite a few hot rod shops with DOT versions of lights like this. They don't stick out when they aren't lit but the LEDs are bright and effective, and there are plenty of DOT approved lights that look great. I think if you did like a 2nd gen camaro/firebird light that might not look too bad either.