ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > Chevrolet Chevelle Car Talk > Chevrolet Corner

Old 04-17-2012, 09:15 AM

Send a message via AIM to SS Shaun
Default now i am wondering about my 69 SS

after reading this thread

http://chevelleforum.org/showthread.php?t=2691

now i need to look at my car for sure and find out if its really an SS. The guy swore up and down that its a real SS and after getting it home and a friend looking at it he tells me its not an SS. i don't like the guy who sold my my chevelle and i would stop working it to pursue him in a criminal court case. He likes to buy nova's and chevelle's and sell them off to make money. so now i am wondering if i got scammed from him! how can i check for sure on my 69 to make sure if it is a true SS or if its a clone that he made? It has SS all over the car but i know anyone can get those from the store and put them on right? Also my Cowl tag looks a little beat and worn out how can i get that checked and replaced/fixed to make it look better?
Old 04-17-2012, 11:04 AM

Do you have any pics of the cowl tag? Also where was the car built?
Old 04-17-2012, 02:37 PM

Old 04-17-2012, 06:17 PM
Bowtie Member

Good Luck Shaun. I am rooting for you.

For the audio geek try: www.audiokarma.org

Old 04-17-2012, 06:38 PM

Based on the pics I see it's te L coded tag. All Baltimore and Kansas SS cars I believe have the L code too. So far there's been only one Malibu with the L code and I think we came to a conclusion that the rivets to the tag were tampered with. Many are believers of the L code but some haven't hoped on the train yet. It's weird though how not all plants did the L code. Therefore Shaun, I believe you have a real SS.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:27 PM

The L is not conclusive in most circles for an SS. The SS package was an option after 68 since they had a 138 vin. Paper work is the only way to prove an SS after 68.

From 1969 on, the SS was no longer a separate model. Instead, it was now an "SS" option package added to a 300 Deluxe model, Malibu model, or El Camino Custom model. 1969 was the only model year that the SS package could be ordered on the base model Chevelle 300 Deluxe (as a 2-door coupe or a 2-door post sedan). The only SS option in '69 was the "Z25" SS-396 package. The '69 and up cars are harder to authenticate because the VIN can not be used to confirm if the car is an SS.

There were two colors that were exclusive to the '69 SS. "Monaco Orange" (code 72) and "Daytona Yellow" (code 76). If either of these paint codes appear on the cowl tag (and the cowl tag is genuine) then that would prove the car to be a genuine SS.

If someone had a nice '69 Malibu, and a rusted out '69 SS, it would be easy for them to simply move the SS equipment over to the Malibu. As long as they did not alter or move the VIN plates or cowl tags, this would be perfectly legal, and since the VIN tag doesn't tell you much, there would be almost no way for you to know.

From '69 on, single-piston disk brakes were STANDARD equipment with the SS package. These brakes are easier to find parts for than the earlier four-piston disk brakes.

Chevrolet literature indicates that the only way to get a 396 was with the SS package. However, there appears to be at least one late-production Chevelle that was built with a 396 and all the required SS equipment, but the "Z25" SS-396 option was not listed on the car's build sheet. It is believed that this car came from the factory with "SS" emblems, but that is not 100% certain.

Again in 1969, the only available SS engine was the 396 (in the same flavors as in 1968). In 1969, however, it was possible (if you knew who to talk to) to order something called a COPO 427 Chevelle. COPO stands for "Central Office Production Order". The COPO program allowed dealers to order equipment that was not usually available (such as special paint, special engines, etc.) Unlike the '68s, the '69 Chevelles had their 427 engines installed at the FACTORY, not the dealership. This makes the '69 427s more legitimate in the eyes of collectors today. You didn't necessarily have to go to Yenko or some other special dealer in '69 to get a 427 Chevelle. Your local dealer could usually get you one if you filled out the right paperwork. While the '69 COPO 427s had basically the same equipment as the SS-396s, they were not generally considered SSs because they did not have any external "SS" or "427" identification. They were the ultimate sleepers. Any genuine '69 COPO 427 Chevelle is quite valuable today. There are also unconfirmed reports of a '69 COPO 427 El Camino.

In addition, there was an "L89" aluminum head option available for the '69 375 HP 396. Few were ordered.

1969 SSs had "SS/396" emblems on the front, back, fenders, door panels, on the dash above the glove box, and on the standard SS steering wheel. The '69 SS also had the twin-bulge hood like the '68s, but the bolt holes where the hood hinges attached were slightly different. The '69 SS came with 14" SS wheels with "SS" center caps. The '69 SS stripe option consisted of a black, white, or red stripe which ran along the upper body sides. There are also reports of a few '69 SSs with dealer-painted hood stripes, similar to the stripes used on many '70-'72 SSs.

Another rare car, produced only in '69, was an SS Chevelle built on the 2-door post sedan, the "Chevelle 300". This was the only year that a 2-door post sedan SS was produced. Most of the '69 SSs, and all the '70-'72 SSs, were built upon the 2-door Malibu pillarless coupe.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowgray396 View Post
The L is not conclusive in most circles for an SS. The SS package was an option after 68 since they had a 138 vin. Paper work is the only way to prove an SS after 68.

From 1969 on, the SS was no longer a separate model. Instead, it was now an "SS" option package added to a 300 Deluxe model, Malibu model, or El Camino Custom model. 1969 was the only model year that the SS package could be ordered on the base model Chevelle 300 Deluxe (as a 2-door coupe or a 2-door post sedan). The only SS option in '69 was the "Z25" SS-396 package. The '69 and up cars are harder to authenticate because the VIN can not be used to confirm if the car is an SS.

There were two colors that were exclusive to the '69 SS. "Monaco Orange" (code 72) and "Daytona Yellow" (code 76). If either of these paint codes appear on the cowl tag (and the cowl tag is genuine) then that would prove the car to be a genuine SS.

If someone had a nice '69 Malibu, and a rusted out '69 SS, it would be easy for them to simply move the SS equipment over to the Malibu. As long as they did not alter or move the VIN plates or cowl tags, this would be perfectly legal, and since the VIN tag doesn't tell you much, there would be almost no way for you to know.

From '69 on, single-piston disk brakes were STANDARD equipment with the SS package. These brakes are easier to find parts for than the earlier four-piston disk brakes.

Chevrolet literature indicates that the only way to get a 396 was with the SS package. However, there appears to be at least one late-production Chevelle that was built with a 396 and all the required SS equipment, but the "Z25" SS-396 option was not listed on the car's build sheet. It is believed that this car came from the factory with "SS" emblems, but that is not 100% certain.

Again in 1969, the only available SS engine was the 396 (in the same flavors as in 1968). In 1969, however, it was possible (if you knew who to talk to) to order something called a COPO 427 Chevelle. COPO stands for "Central Office Production Order". The COPO program allowed dealers to order equipment that was not usually available (such as special paint, special engines, etc.) Unlike the '68s, the '69 Chevelles had their 427 engines installed at the FACTORY, not the dealership. This makes the '69 427s more legitimate in the eyes of collectors today. You didn't necessarily have to go to Yenko or some other special dealer in '69 to get a 427 Chevelle. Your local dealer could usually get you one if you filled out the right paperwork. While the '69 COPO 427s had basically the same equipment as the SS-396s, they were not generally considered SSs because they did not have any external "SS" or "427" identification. They were the ultimate sleepers. Any genuine '69 COPO 427 Chevelle is quite valuable today. There are also unconfirmed reports of a '69 COPO 427 El Camino.

In addition, there was an "L89" aluminum head option available for the '69 375 HP 396. Few were ordered.

1969 SSs had "SS/396" emblems on the front, back, fenders, door panels, on the dash above the glove box, and on the standard SS steering wheel. The '69 SS also had the twin-bulge hood like the '68s, but the bolt holes where the hood hinges attached were slightly different. The '69 SS came with 14" SS wheels with "SS" center caps. The '69 SS stripe option consisted of a black, white, or red stripe which ran along the upper body sides. There are also reports of a few '69 SSs with dealer-painted hood stripes, similar to the stripes used on many '70-'72 SSs.

Another rare car, produced only in '69, was an SS Chevelle built on the 2-door post sedan, the "Chevelle 300". This was the only year that a 2-door post sedan SS was produced. Most of the '69 SSs, and all the '70-'72 SSs, were built upon the 2-door Malibu pillarless coupe.
Yes all that stuff that you copied and pasted from another site are true but the L code is another way to identify an SS car from baltimore or Kansas. Are you not a believer of this theory? If so why not?
Old 04-17-2012, 09:46 PM

a few people told me the same thing about the L on the cowl tag. i can tell you my chevelle does have single piston brakes. i dont have the build sheet. it does have SS trim all over the place on the fender on the dash on the doors but the one thing i dont have is an SS steering wheel why? because it didnt come with with one! so i put in a small one i found laying around! i also have the double hump hood. but i am just not sure what i have still. i mean i dont care because its not going to be a matching numbers car i just want to know if i got some smoke blown up my ass!
Old 04-17-2012, 09:57 PM

If the tag is original I am 100% sure that it left the factory with the SS option checked off on the list.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:02 PM

It's also an original fathom green car with no vinyl top and if it says 755 it came with a black vinyl bench seat. It might be 756 but I can't tell, if so I believe it would be buckets in black. Either way that's a really nice color combo!