ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > Chevrolet Chevelle Car Talk > Chevrolet Corner
Register FAQ Chevelle Chat Room Community Calendar

Old 01-23-2013, 07:28 PM

Default Silverado hybrid?

For the new and used car people here, how do I easily identify one of these? I have found a few 2009 & newer online. 6.0L V8, and 20+ MPG. I'm sold, just need to find out if I can realistically afford a used one. With my new job, I can expect to drive around 30,000 - 35,000 miles a year. It could be a huge savings on fuel for me. My 96' gets around 15 - 15.5 MPG average. It's just not going to cut it - even getting per diem.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:23 PM

Silverado Hybrid ,didnt know there was such a thing .

John
Old 01-24-2013, 07:07 PM
Bowtie Member

Yes there is flash..check it out.

http://www.chevrolet.com/silverado-h...ecs/trims.html

Carpoor..
I have not compared the two, but this is a nice link to check it out and see if it is what you are looking for and within your price range. Gas mileage increase would help you.

For the audio geek try: www.audiokarma.org

Old 01-25-2013, 08:40 PM

That was very interesting to read about ,just shows how little I know about the newer trucks .I still prefer my old trucks that I can get under the hood and know what Im looking at .

John
Old 01-25-2013, 10:11 PM

"Page content no longer available"
Old 01-25-2013, 10:30 PM

Thats odd ,I just looked at it earlier . Maybe Nancy can find it again.

John
Old 01-26-2013, 07:19 AM

Works today, however I am checking the link from my desktop vs. my cell phone.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:29 AM

Location: Currently change between two locations, OKC and Harelton Texas

I've only seen a couple of them. Been around for awhile now. Don't know what the price would be.

I guess for short trips, where you don't burn through the battery too fast, they would be ok.

One of the hot rod magazines did an article not to long ago about the costs/advantages of adding multi-port injection. Their test vehicle got 4-6 mpg better with the multi-port. If you don't mind manuals, they always get better mpg than autos. For auto trannies, low stall torque converters help out also.

I personally think, that for fuel milleage, go with a much older, pre-emmissions model, put modern induction on it and set it up for max efficiency.

If you can find one, Chevy used to put a six-speed manual behind a Duramax. Has a really killer low first allowing you to up the rear end (or lower it depending on point of view) without losing too much in capability. Since you looking at hybrid, I would guess that towing is not really what your interested in.

If your running a small block, putting a TPI from Camaro/Trans Am/Corvette from a junk yard would probably be the cheapest route for multi-port and if you do it to an older vehicle, http://www.moates.net/apu1-autoprom-....html?cPath=94, or something similar will allow you to turn off a lot of the EPA junk and reset the timing.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:21 AM
Bowtie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVSentinel View Post
I've only seen a couple of them. Been around for awhile now. Don't know what the price would be.

I guess for short trips, where you don't burn through the battery too fast, they would be ok.

One of the hot rod magazines did an article not to long ago about the costs/advantages of adding multi-port injection. Their test vehicle got 4-6 mpg better with the multi-port. If you don't mind manuals, they always get better mpg than autos. For auto trannies, low stall torque converters help out also.

I personally think, that for fuel milleage, go with a much older, pre-emmissions model, put modern induction on it and set it up for max efficiency.

If you can find one, Chevy used to put a six-speed manual behind a Duramax. Has a really killer low first allowing you to up the rear end (or lower it depending on point of view) without losing too much in capability. Since you looking at hybrid, I would guess that towing is not really what your interested in.

If your running a small block, putting a TPI from Camaro/Trans Am/Corvette from a junk yard would probably be the cheapest route for multi-port and if you do it to an older vehicle, http://www.moates.net/apu1-autoprom-....html?cPath=94, or something similar will allow you to turn off a lot of the EPA junk and reset the timing.
DV, if you did this, what year would you suggest would be the best year or should I say most compatible truck to work with ?

For the audio geek try: www.audiokarma.org

Old 01-26-2013, 10:41 AM

Location: Currently change between two locations, OKC and Harelton Texas

That would depend on several factors. I've always liked having the extended cab options and the newer "6-packs" definitly have more room. But to get the mose efficeincy, you would have to go pre-cat days. If you are happy with the room in single cab, then pretty much any 60s-70s would do. Maybe look at Fiberglass body panels to lighten them up a bit.

Basically, if you go pre-cat, not even Cali pays much attention to them these days. OBD-I systems give you more options than OBD-II (1996-newer). '88 and newer also may have roller blocks (if not, you can easily get one) which allows roller cams instead of flat tappet.

If you live in a DEQ area/state, I would say go Pre-76 on a half ton, not for sure when they put cats in 3/4 and 1 Tons (had a 77 that didn't have cats). This gives you the most options on timing and Fuel/Air to maximize power/efficency.

If you don't live in a DEQ area/state, I would go with an 88-95. This still allows you some play room even if DEQ and without DEQ, as long as everything looks right, they don't mess with you, no matter what you have done in the computer. I just like the room and handling on these models better. But emissions equipement for the swap will cost you extra.

I have a 2001 Silverado HD with the 6.0 liter, extended cab. Love the room, ride and handling, but other than gearing changes and low stall cat, maybe headers, I run up against EPA again. Not to mention retuning options are expensive (and I know people who were plaqued with problems after using programmers). Using Tunner Cat or similar, knowing what you are doing, you may avoid some of the problems, but still expensive for what you get for it.

I don't know about your state, but a lot of states, the vehicle has to meet standards of year of vehicle or block, whichever is newer. This kind of limits you to the 85-86 model TPI on pre-emissions vehicles, but no big deal. Unfortunately, I don't think you can put factory TPI on vortec heads, otherwise that would be a great combo.