ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > Chevrolet Chevelle Garage > Chevelle Maintenance

Old 04-22-2010, 10:57 AM

All fuel is pretty much the same because there are only three manufactures refining fuel. The difference is what is added by the individual sellers that can make a difference like detergents, etc. If you are running aluminum heads and are under 10:1 mid grade could work depending on the overall timing/setup on your engine. Because of the 454 torque and the possibility it could be iron headed I would stick with premium just to be safe. I use premium because I like the extra octane and the cleaners in shell V-power. I also run STP every few months to get rid of water buildup.
Robert. A cool wife who understands is a wonderful thing! 67 Elky Global West suspension kit with coil over QA1's,435hp Edy Crate,700R4, Currie +9 3:75, Disc brakes front and rear, Dakota Digital gauge package, 12 circuit Painless wiring kit, Ididit tilt Colum, etc.
Old 04-22-2010, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Thanks for the info. didnt think it was going to be this fast getting some info. I still have lots to learn on the motor and everything else in it. just trying to get ready with the info, like what type of synthetic oil etc......
Delo 15-40w is an excellent choice.
Got mine at NAPA.

Randy
Old 04-22-2010, 06:36 PM

I'm not saying there is no difference in gas from one brand to another. What is more important is the station. The tanks get water and crap in the bottom. That needs to be cleaned out on a regular basis or it will build up enough that the pumps start pulling it up. There is always some junk on the bottom, that's why the pump doesn't pull from the very bottom. If the station doesn't look like it's being maintained then the tanks probably aren't either.

Another thing to watch out for is buying gas while the tanks are being filled. When they dump the gas in the tanks it stirs up the crap on the bottom. Now most stations these days have filters at the pump but again if the station isn't maintained then the filters probably aren't maintained.

70 Chevelle SS396(454), M20, 3.73
My Chevelle
Old 04-22-2010, 08:31 PM

Royal Dutch Shell
Marathon
Exxon/Mobil
Shintech
Valero
Conoco/Phillips
BP
Murphy Oil

Those refineries are all within 100 miles of me, and I may have forgotten a few..

They all make gasoline that has to pass rigorous testing by all sorts of bureaucratic regulating bodies...which also vary by state.

I'm pretty sure that the EPA regulates on filling station pump filters being changed on a schedule.