ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > Chevrolet Chevelle Car Talk > Chevelle Introductions

Old 09-20-2014, 08:12 AM

Default 1972 Chevelle Malibu Convertible

Hi, my name is Nick and I recently bought a 1972 Chevelle Malibu Convertible. It's a fixer upper. Solid body, runs and drives but doesn't stop, no interior and needs a new top. I plan on it being a cruiser for the time being. I'm hoping that you guys can help me identify the parts that I might need. I'm going to start by rebuilding the rear drum brakes, converting the front to power disc and installing 2" drop spindles on the front. Then I need to fix some oil leaks in the transmission and engine and get a top put on it before I put it away for the winter. I'll post some pictures of what it looks like now and in progress soon.
Old 09-20-2014, 12:37 PM

Send a message via MSN to RBeckman

Welcome, I'm sure we can help...I'm in Fenton, where are you?
Old 09-20-2014, 08:28 PM

I thought front disc brakes were standard on 72's ,may be wrong though. Be sure whoever installs your top knows what they are doing .The guy that did ours was not the greatest .Show us some plcs when you can and maybe I can help identify the missing parts .

John
Old 09-21-2014, 11:30 AM

It had front disc brakes but since none of the brakes worked and it's sat for so long I decided to replace and upgrade them. I was going to change the rears to disc but the kits I saw recommended 17" wheels and I haven't decide what I want to do with the wheels yet so I'll wait. I got a recommendation on the guy to install the top from a place up here in Alma that restores classic cars as well as their regular body shop so hopefully he does a good job. Right now I know what parts are missing on the interior, everything! All that's there are 2 front bucket seats and a rear bench seat. No door panels, carpet, trim anything. I would actually like to put a bench seat in the front. That's what it was originally and with the shifter on the column I think it looks better than trying to install a console with no shifter. I don't feel like changing out the column right now either. I'll post some pictures as soon as I can safely get it out of the garage. I took apart the front end on one side yesterday. My 3 year old son was helping so we didn't get to far. But it's a start.
Old 09-21-2014, 11:59 AM
Administrator

Nick, this is my 70 with Scat Procar Lowback buckets from Summit and a Humphugger console from NPD. Car originally had a bench seat. Seats were around $232.00 ea, brackets around $60.00 ea, and the console around $119.00
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0034.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	3358  
Old 09-21-2014, 03:21 PM

Nick ,I like the look of a car with bucket seats and console like Ken has above with the column shift .To me its a little less cluttered looking without the floor shifter but do what makes you happy. Hydro Electric in Florida can supply anything needed for the convertible top mechanicals such as pumps and hoses and cylinders .They are pretty simple to work on too.

John
Old 09-21-2014, 03:48 PM

Welcome to the site. Nothing wrong with a bench seat if thats what you want.
Old 09-21-2014, 07:15 PM

My Elky has a bench seat and it actually sits better than the buckets in my vert but I like them both ways.

John
Old 09-22-2014, 07:16 AM
Bowtie Member

Welcome Nick. '72 Malibu here. It sounds like this is going to be a project with your son and that is so cool. I have had my car for over 16 yrs and the first time we put it together it was with my 3 older kids who were young at that time and I remember the fun we had. And some frustration because it took longer. lol

You will find that the members here are a great source of information. I did a lot of restoring to my car a few years ago and if you read some of the build threads from me you will see what I did. flash has a '72 Malibu vert and he could be a great source of ideas too. Can't wait to see your progress.

For the audio geek try: www.audiokarma.org

Old 05-16-2019, 02:13 PM

Hi everyone, I'm back. We're living in Brazil currently but are moving back to Midland next month. I got my car running before we left and drove it a little. Then I pulled the motor and put in a 383 stroker. Have a few things planned for when we get back. Going top upgrade from the sweep dash first. My son's excited to get back to work.