ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > Chevrolet Chevelle Garage > Paint and Body

Old 09-29-2012, 08:23 PM
Bowtie Member

Default Detailing your car

As I was reading my September 17, 2012, Autoweek, I came across this article and I thought that I might share some of excerpts from the article.

Originally printed September 17, 2012
Autoweek
Article by: Jake Lingeman

Detailing a car, new or old, takes patience, practice, product and a lot of time. "Our Ultimate Spa package takes at least a day to complete," says Matt Lifter, owner of Motor City Auto Spa in the Detroit suburb of Roal Oak, Mich. "Our underbody rust protection alone takes two employees a full day."

They don't skimp on the time at Motor City, and they definitely don't skimp on the product. Back and side rooms of the brick building are filled from floor to ceiling with every sort of wax, polish, paint and dye you could imagine. In addition, they don't just use the mixes from the factories - sometimes they improvise.

"After years of playing with the stuff," says Lifter, "we've found mixtures of cleaners that have made us happy. We do some touch-up paints like that as well."

Lifter offered us some tips on home detailing, starting with one main point: If you don't know what you're doing, leave it to the professionals. Picking a compound and rubbing just won't cut it, except for your paint, which will be cut deeply.

"We spend a good amount of time fixing things owners have messed up," says Lifter. Motor City can go over damaged areas with a buffer, but only so much can be repaired.

Tools for a decent detail job include a selection of brushes with different strength bristles, a carpet cleaner with a hand tool, a buffer of some sort - if you're an expert - and, finally, a mountain of soft rags.

Other tips for detailing in the home garage include using denatured alcohol for sap and bug stains, fine-grade steel wool on chrome accents, a Christmas tree brush to get the inside of wheels and a non-ammonia-based cleaner for navigation screens.

"Also, don't dry your car with a terrycloth towel. It will scratch the clear coat," says Lifter. "We use a California blade and microfiber towels."

When it comes to paying for expensive cleaning products over the cheap stuff, Lifter only has this to say: "I've never seen a product last longer than a year. Any wax or spray that claims to keep your car protected for three or four years will need to be reapplied much sooner."

The statement was said with confidence and a wry smile, but even if not, we're inclined to believe him. A local Detroit TV station named Motor City Auto Spa the best full-service detailer three years in a row.

I was wondering what words of wisdom the members here have to share about detailing you car. Is there any product that has worked wonders, or that you swear by when detailing your car.

Also, for many of us we are getting ready to store our cars for the winter. Any words of advice.....

For the audio geek try: www.audiokarma.org

Old 09-30-2012, 09:00 AM

I am terrible at detailing our cars as they get driven so much most of the time they get a lick and a promise .I like bleechwhite to clean my tires and white vinyl seats and door panels .I like to use baby oil from the dollar store on my dashpad ,door panels ,gaskets ,and sunvisirs as well as the steering wheel. Just wipe it on with a micro fiber towel and wipe the excess back off . I like the Meguirs wax products but if Im short on time I like Turtle Wax clear spray on and wipe off stuff ,dont remember the actual name . I like Meguires Hotshine on the tires but use whatever I happen to have on hand .

John
Old 09-30-2012, 07:41 PM
Bowtie Member

Baby oil ? Really ? I know that Joans car always looks amazing. Doesn't the baby oil leave it too oily ? Do you think that it has helped save your dash and prevent cracks ?

Old 09-30-2012, 08:24 PM

It definitely keeps the door and trunk weatherstrip gaskets nice and soft and the seats and dash soak it up pretty good before I wipe it down.

John
Old 10-01-2012, 09:00 PM
Bowtie Member

I am going to have to try it. A lot cheaper than some of the product out there, and smells better than some of them too.

Old 10-02-2012, 06:51 AM

Send a message via AIM to BillsCamino

I too use baby oil lightly on the dash pad...been working well for many years.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:30 PM
Bowtie Member

Why am I the last one to know. You use it on the trunk weatherstripping too ? Do you get any build up ? I only ask that because baby oil attracts every little piece of fuzz, even if you wipe it off.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:02 PM

Yes ,I also use it on the trunk weatherstrip with no fuzz.

John
Old 10-02-2012, 10:16 PM

I'm going to have to try it.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:08 AM

What kind of waxes do you guys use? as of now i have only been using spray on detailers, and never "washed" the trailer queen .... it is hard with the deep black i have to use a wax and not get a glossy wipe down.