ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > Chevrolet Chevelle Garage > Chevelle Interiors > Chevelle sounds systems

Old 12-29-2009, 09:38 AM
Administrator Bowtie Member

Default What stereo are you using

For 10 plus years we had no tunes in our car. Stupidly when I ripped everything out the first time I laid the carpet before wiring it up again.

Well now that the cars apart and getting ready to go back together, I picked up some decent Alpine 6x9's and 4x6's for up front.

I am not so much a fan of the newer head units so we found an older style pioneer super turner to use. Hoping that it all sounds pretty good.

So what are you folks using ?

Dave
Old 12-29-2009, 11:16 AM

Well my stereo was ripped off back in fall (along with my 5" monster tach and shift lite ) but they left the wiring connector for the stereo, (idiots!!!) so I found an exact replacement for now on Ebay. Its a Pioneer DEH 3900. I like it because it has an auxillary input for my MP3 player to feed tunes into. I rarely have cd's in the car, and usually cant find much on the radio around here i want to listen to at the time, but my blackberry has several hundred of my favorite songs on it, so I always have great tunes ready and waiting.

As for speakers, stupidly I put one of those stock replacement type single front speakers under the dash and a pair of pioneer 6 x 9's in the back. It wouldnt be as bad without that crappy cracklin front speaker. Next time I take the dash apart that will get replaced with something else.

jeff
2006 Cadillac CTS-V LS2 and a 6 speed
Old 12-29-2009, 11:26 AM

Wife and kids got me a Ken Harrison stereo a few years ago for Christmas. Fit's in the dash with no cutting. We're a ways from Detroit and I've got the antenna in the windshield so reception is not that great. Mounted a remote CD player in the trunk that my son had lying around so that works good. Need to install some speakers up front when I redo the dash.

70 Chevelle SS396(454), M20, 3.73
My Chevelle
Old 12-30-2009, 09:25 AM

I have the stock am-fm 8 track still in the dash. I also have a pioneer head unit in the glovebox. I put a pair of 6x9's in the back, 3 1/2" in the dash and some 5 1/4" in some custom autosound kickpanels.
I also have a pair of 10" kicker vr's in custom boxes up on the ledge in the trunk behind the backseat. It sounds ok for now, but I need to do some tweaking on the boxes so the subs work more effencently.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:16 AM

My 66 has the original am in it...but it's an AM /FM now and you could never tell.
The 69 I have the stock in place....but have this baby hid in the glove box with a infrared remote. and a nice set of 6x9's in the back and duals in the stock dash area.

Old 12-31-2009, 10:27 AM

Eventually I will build a floor console for my car. Until then, I am stuck with the jinky in-dash post style jensen tape deck inmy car, with the crappy speakers that are in it.

I have a Pyle CD head unit with USB and SD slots, and the animated EQ that will be going in. I want my triple gauge set, my head unit, and speakers integrated into the console unit, 5-1/4" 3 way rounds pointing towards the back, and 3 way 6x9s down under the dash pointing outward. I have high hopes for this thing, and am hoping to build it around my floor shifter, and include a storage compartment and cup holders too....and the switches for my exhaust cutouts.
Old 01-01-2010, 07:34 PM

My el Camino already had the radio hole cut out for the DIN config. So, I went on my trusty local CraigsList and found a great deal on a Pioneer DEH P680MP - It's a Satellite/AM/FM, CD, Aux input w/ removable face and a nice big round volume knob. It's got the usual 4x"50" watts and I'm running a set of KLH box two-ways mounted just below the rear "deck" panel facing forward, and a pair of Blaupunkt coax 5" cut into the kick panel covers.

I mounted the satellite receiver in the back storage pocket w/ velcro so I can remove it and plug it into a similar Pioneer deck that's going into the Malibu. Don't have to pay for more than 1 subscription that way!!
A decent inexpensive system, overall.
The Malibu will get a very similar set, but the rear speakers will be Blaupunkt coax 6x9s mounted to a reinforced rear deck w/ a custom grille cloth cover, so you can't see 'em.

Dan
Old 01-01-2010, 10:54 PM

I put a new replacement unit from Hinshaws in, but have listened to it only a very few times, I enjoy the sound of the exhaust more.
Old 09-04-2010, 07:06 PM

Thumbs up

I usually go for USA-630 or USA-5 bc I can keep the original look of your car.

Check that - http://www.restorationperformance.co...autosound/Page
Have fun buddy!!
Old 09-05-2010, 04:08 AM

15 years I owned mine and STILL just a hole where the stereo goes!