ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > Chevrolet Chevelle Garage > Chevelle Interiors

Old 09-22-2013, 10:30 AM

Question New Carpet

Been quite some time since I have posted anything on the board altho I have looked in from time to time. Finally got to the point that I can hopefully get serious about the re-store on my Chevelle.

Ordered and received new carpet, door sills and sound deadener from OPG last week. Dark Blue (code #725 interior) original styled 80/20 loop made by ACC. Will be removing the rear seat/back cusihon and buckets and console and A/T shifter to clean and paint the floor while I have it bare.

Any one have tips and advice for this since am a real newbie in the Chevelle world. What is involved in removal of the A/C kick panels, have newer, in better condition, originals to replace. Also, drivers side floor near firewall, hard rubber or plastic molded cover goes between carpet and firewall. Seems to be bolted in?

As mentioned, very much a newbie on a Chevelle restore since this is the only Chevelle I've ever owned.
Old 09-22-2013, 12:49 PM

That trim panel by the pedals is bolted in. The kick panels are held in by screws. Once you get in there and take a good look at it, a light bulb will go on.

Make sure to have a box of sharp razor blades on hand, your carpet will need trimming to fit properly. And a second set of hands isn't a bad idea either.
Old 09-22-2013, 03:54 PM

Pay close attention to the way the carpet is cut open under the console and wiring for the console. I like to have the console and seats bolted in before cutting carpet for sill plates . Also recomend cutting the hole for the high beam/low beam grommet last.
Old 09-22-2013, 03:54 PM

Yeah, figured would need a LOT of razor blades, just hopefully not band aids, LOL. Any thoughts about what sort of paint or such to put on the bare floor after removing the old carpet? Hope the floor is in good shape and just needs paint. Is it advisable to cover with POR 15, maybe in a gray, black would make the interior seem dark when working in it.

Yeah, would be good thing I think to cut the dimmer switch hole for one of the very last things to be done. Also need to look closely at the "sticky" about cutting the carpet for bucket seats.

Thanks for the replies and any thing others may have please feel free to chime in. When I restored my '71 4x4 1/2 ton it got rubber mat on the floor and I was really apprehensive about cutting the mat for the 4 spd. floor shifter and the 4WD transfer lever. Only get one shot on that, luckily it came out pretty well.

Last edited by 71-SS350; 09-22-2013 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Added info.
Old 09-22-2013, 04:00 PM

POR 15 is good, tends to harden when storing left over paint . A pint should be plenty
Old 09-23-2013, 07:38 AM

You'll probably have to remove the parking brake pedal to remove kick panels. If an AC car is the same, grill pops out of kick panel, screws that hold it in are behind the grill. Make sure you apply plenty of caulk around vent when you put the kick panel back in. Water from cowl runs through that area and out bottom of fender. Any leaks and it will run inside and under carpet.

If new carpet is a lot bigger than needed, mine was, use old as a template to get it a little closer to the correct size. Mine was so oversized you couldn't even fit it in under the dash. If the hump over the trans tunnel is to big, common complaint with replacement carpet, you can slit it down the middle and remove some of the excess. I had to do that with mine, console covers it and holds it in place, you'd never know it was slit.

70 Chevelle SS396(454), M20, 3.73
My Chevelle
Old 09-23-2013, 09:19 AM

I used dynamat on my floor !
Old 09-23-2013, 09:38 AM

Send a message via MSN to RBeckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestorod70 View Post
I used dynamat on my floor !
I did as well, it made a big difference and well worth the effort.