ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > Chevrolet Chevelle Garage > Paint and Body

Old 08-02-2014, 06:22 AM

Default Hood/Fender Fit

My hat is off to all you body men out there. After many hours and much spilled blood I finally got the hood to fit the fenders and cowl. This process is an art that can only be learned over a long time. 1964 Chevelle Malibu convertible. Next project will be my replacing the windshield. Any tips on doing this will be appreciated.
Old 08-02-2014, 10:49 AM

Send a message via AIM to SS Shaun

lol i understand your pain! i just did my doors and fenders. Went to do my hood got it perfect everywhere but i have a gap on the driver side by the header panel so upsetting
Old 08-05-2014, 01:38 PM

Default Hood to fender & door fit.

I seem to remember the Japanese cleaned our clocks with their precision fit panels. I'm beginning to wonder if my 64 ever had equal gaps at all the panels.
Old 08-05-2014, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldguy64malibu View Post
...Next project will be my replacing the windshield. Any tips on doing this will be appreciated.
Find a good glass shop. I had my windshield and rear window replaced last year. Guy that did it has been doing it for over 30 years. Cutting the window out if it's urethane is job. If it's butyl, what a mess. New needs to go in with urethane. If anyone tells you they'll use butyl, walk away, it's not approved and no certified glass shop will use it.

Windshield cost me just over $200, that was new glass with the antenna in it, remove the old and install the new. I had them remove both front and rear. Took it home, cleaned up the rust and painted it. Then I took it back and they installed the glass.

70 Chevelle SS396(454), M20, 3.73
My Chevelle
Old 08-05-2014, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldguy64malibu View Post
Next project will be my replacing the windshield. Any tips on doing this will be appreciated.
I worked for safelite for several years and like hank said the best thing you can do is let a reputable glass company do it for you. Make sure they use a quality urethane like SIKA or DOW and make sure they wear rubber gloves, the oil and sweat from your bare hands can get on the glass and the oil can cause urethane to separate from the glass causing leaks. If you can find your own glass most places shouldn't charge more than $50 to install it.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadracer392 View Post
I worked for safelite for several years and like hank said the best thing you can do is let a reputable glass company do it for you. Make sure they use a quality urethane like SIKA or DOW and make sure they wear rubber gloves, the oil and sweat from your bare hands can get on the glass and the oil can cause urethane to separate from the glass causing leaks. If you can find your own glass most places shouldn't charge more than $50 to install it.
I think I paid $75 for them to R&R the rear glass, I supplied the glass. You're right about using a reputable shop. The glass has to be perfectly clean then a primer is applied where it contacts the urethane. I believe they also use a primer on the body where the urethane is applied.

70 Chevelle SS396(454), M20, 3.73
My Chevelle
Old 08-06-2014, 10:12 AM
Administrator

Your right on the primer Hank. Had my back glass molding redone by a friend of mine that works for Henderson's Glass. He popped that baby out in less than 5 min, cleaned out all the butyl, installed a couple new studs, new clips, primered everything, installed glass with urethane and had the new moldings on in 2 hours tops..........charged me $20.00..........so I gave him $45.00