ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > Chevrolet Chevelle Garage > Chevelle Interiors
Register FAQ Chevelle Chat Room Community Calendar

Old 01-18-2022, 12:27 PM

Default 1970 replacement door panels

Greetings from a first time poster, long time restorer.
I am currently resurrecting a 1970 base 2 door hardtop Chevelle. One of the primary goals is to stop all of the interior water leaks. Both front and rear glass have been done, all the door weather stripping and roof rail seals are done.

I had to remove the door panels to install the door seals and they were in real poor condition. I originally attempted to order a pair of complete door panels in black, but they have been on backorder from various vendors for 3 months. I finally purchased the unfinished panels and have them in hand, manufactured by PUI.

My question regards the metal top rail attachment. After removing the rail from the original panel, I have some questions about re-attaching the rail to the panel. Should I glue, rivet, attach with screws and nuts, or use a different technique? I have no problem attaching the door panel vinyl and felt liner once the two pieces are joined, just don't want to mess up at the start! All help and advice is always appreciated.

Hans
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1517.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	4763   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1518.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	4764  
Old 01-18-2022, 12:40 PM

I,m leaning towards flattening the current attachment pieces, using contact cement to hold the rail and panel together, then drilling thru the metal and door panel, then using 1/8 short rivets to secure them. Thoughts?

Hans
Old 01-18-2022, 07:34 PM

My door panels that part was made into the door panel.
Old 01-19-2022, 09:28 AM

Thanks for the reply, unfortunately the complete door panels (like the ones you purchased) are backordered, so I bought what was available. the only difference is these top rails need to be installed to complete the panel for installation on the door

Hans
Old 01-20-2022, 05:12 AM

Then the 3M spray adhesive like you put a vinyl top on with is what to use. Once you sand that puppy down.
Old 01-20-2022, 09:14 AM

Yea, I was real surprised how much surface rust there is. I have access to a glass bead blast cabinet, so it'll be like new when I go back together.