ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > Chevrolet Chevelle Garage > Paint and Body

Old 10-19-2011, 08:33 AM

What a mess ,but Eastwood will make it right as they are very good to deal with.

John
Old 10-19-2011, 01:17 PM

I emailed Eastwood last night and they responded this morning. They are shipping out a new gallon of black for me today and I don't need to return the one that opened. They have some top notch customer service for sure!

Props to Eastwood for correcting the issue so quickly!
Old 10-19-2011, 07:36 PM
Bowtie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDwrench View Post
That combination does have some appeal. I try too stay away from black anymore,, way high "maintenance factor". You know ?? Kind of like most of our wifes ??
Hey ....
I take offense to that ..

For the audio geek try: www.audiokarma.org

Old 10-19-2011, 07:38 PM
Bowtie Member

I like the color scheme you chose. What is the color for the top. Maybe I missed it.

For the audio geek try: www.audiokarma.org

Old 10-19-2011, 10:50 PM

I have no idea on the photoshopped chevelle. I just messed around and liked the red over black. I bought Pro street red for my top and boulevard black for the bottom which will more then likely look different then the colors in the pic, but it should look similar.
Old 10-23-2011, 12:03 PM

Is that base/clear? I just shot a '57 Chevy two door wagon with the same paint system. I was somewhat less than pleased with the result. After mixing exactly the ratio suggested, it was coming out of the gun DRY. I tried turning down the air pressure and running different mix ratios. It was no use. The paint is not what I like to use.

A month later, I was able to color sand and buff out alot of the uglies, but it was WAY more work than it should have been. The paint job is also not what I consider to be "perfect".

I hope your experience is better than mine. The customer that gave me the paint said I'll re-shoot it in a couple years with PPG.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:29 PM

It's actually single stage paint, but I will be clearing it as well. I've never used the eastwood paint, but a couple cars in our club have used it and I'm very happy with the way their cars look. You can't beat it for the price. I have shot some of the eastwood epoxy primer and it's awesome. Did you happen to use any reducer at all with yours or just the paint and activator? I've heard that if the ambient temperature isn't just right your better off adding reducer.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:26 PM

As I said, I tried everything. ...reducer, no reducer, alot of reducer, lower air pressure, smaller pattern, ......nothing helped. Over spray was so bad in some spots, it looked like 40 grit sand paper. (no kidding) This is also NOT my first rodeo. I've been spraying cars for over 20 years. It was bar none, my worst experience laying paint.

I was able to color sand and buff out 90% of the uglies, but not what I would consider a quality paint job.

Again, I wish you better luck on your car. I had to work WAY too hard to get a presentable finish.

Here's the Eastwood raw paint job. Note the super slick shiny finish. (sarcasm)

Here's a PPG raw paint job.

After about 20 hours of sanding and buffing, I coaxed this out of the Eastwood job.

Last edited by earthquake68; 10-25-2011 at 12:28 PM.
Old 10-25-2011, 01:41 PM

Is that eastwood job cleared as well? I have read some complaints about how dull it looked and how much work was needed to get it to shine when used as a single stage.
Old 10-25-2011, 03:51 PM

No, that's their base/clear system. That's as good as it gets with a raw paint job.