ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > Chevrolet Chevelle Garage > Paint and Body

Old 12-09-2015, 10:38 AM

Default Body putty ?

During the process of replacing the windshield in my 64 Chevelle convertible I removed the molding that goes across the top of the windshield frame. It is the piece that the convertible top seals against. Underneath the molding was a putty like substance that keeps rain from getting under the molding. I have tried to find this on the napa web site with no luck. Anybody know what this stuff is and is it still used or should I just use a silicone sealant ? Thanks for your help.
Old 12-09-2015, 11:17 AM

I don't need a serial number on stuff that isn't seen. So I kinda go with the flow on hidden things.

Plumbers putty is the same stuff. Comes in a tub at lowes. It is for sealing the sink drain into the basin.

Slightly different color and I am sure its molecular structure is a electron off or something. Just don't let a purist know it is there so he doesn't faint and go into a coma.
Old 12-10-2015, 05:40 AM

Default Plumbers putty !

Why didn't I think of that ! Thank you and my lips are sealed. Getting the car ready to sell. 64 convert, 283,2bbl,3speed on the floor. All original except for the fuzzy dice, old column mounted tach and dual exhaust. Merry Christmas.
Old 12-10-2015, 06:07 AM

Merry Christmas to you to.