ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > The Backyard meeting spot > Off Topic

Old 03-12-2014, 10:24 PM
Administrator

Tony, I stopped smoking 8 years ago "Cold Turkey" after 47 years of smoking. Check this out......ya don't relize how much it costs until you see it in black n white.

Quit: 8 years, 2 weeks, 1 day, 4 hours, 22 min. ago
Days: 2,937
Cigs not smoked: 108,675
Money saved: $43,470.25
Got back: 1 year, 1 week, 5 days, 8 hours, 15 min. of my life.
Old 03-13-2014, 04:05 AM

Wow Ken. That money saved is a nice Chevelle! The last time I had a heart attack, I stopped smoking for a while. I taped a 5 dollar bill to the trim around the door here in my little office every day. I was amazed at how much I was spending. I've been eating celery sticks throughout the day when I want a smoke. The worst part of the day is early in the morning, when I start drinking coffee. I hate these stinking things. I wish I could go cold turkey. I'm down to less than 1/2 pack a day, from two packs a day. Slowly making progress.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:52 AM

Congrats Tony on trying to quit ,you can do it .

John
Old 03-13-2014, 09:43 AM
Administrator

When I first quit I took a straw cut it in two and kept them in the pocket I used to keep smokes in. When I felt like havin a smoke I'd puff on the straw and it helped. After 8 years I still have the URGE but I don't have the NEED to have one.

As far as the money goes Tony, that's exactly what I did in September of 2012. I bought my Chevelle from a place in Macomb (23 mile near Romeo Plank) after seeing it online for 4 months. Take a look at what he has www.moremusclecars.com The guy, Stan Volos is a great guy and very easy to do business with. If you go to his site, click on the "About Us" and scroll down you'll see my yellow Chevelle. (the Buick just below my car had only 430 miles, all original and sold for $93,000.00 to a dealership in Iowa for display only)

Last edited by Ken Hayes; 03-13-2014 at 09:46 AM.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:54 AM

Send a message via MSN to RBeckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Grumpy View Post
Ric, believe it or not, many people have reversed blockages in their arteries by eating an all vegetable diet. I know that since I have changed the way we eat, and what we eat, Davids doctor has taken him off of his cholesterol medication. I also know that eating a more "vegan" diet has given us more energy and helped us to lose weight.
Thanks, Not sure I want to go the VEGAN route yet but I do need to eat less meat which I have started...like my doctor keeps telling me is moderation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlintTony View Post
Wow Ken. That money saved is a nice Chevelle! The last time I had a heart attack, I stopped smoking for a while. I taped a 5 dollar bill to the trim around the door here in my little office every day. I was amazed at how much I was spending. I've been eating celery sticks throughout the day when I want a smoke. The worst part of the day is early in the morning, when I start drinking coffee. I hate these stinking things. I wish I could go cold turkey. I'm down to less than 1/2 pack a day, from two packs a day. Slowly making progress.
Good for your Tony and knowing you I'm sure you will win in the end.

As for the money, one of my friends at work that is a lot younger than me always says to me that it must be nice to have all the toys that I do and I tell him that I have never smoke and he smokes a pack and 1/2 a day and I we figured he has already spend 75K in smokes in 20 years and I put that money towards my toys and its all about prioritys.

My Son has a app on his phone that tells him everyday how much he has saved since him and his wife quick smoking...and they went out a bought a 2011 Jeep Wrangler with the money they are saving and are out in the Ariziona desert everyweekend and having a lot fun.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:55 PM

Hey Ken, I took a look at the site. They have sold a bunch of cars. They all look good too. The model he has helps sell them, I'm sure. You guys need to take a look.

I've been playing with some numbers myself about these miserable smokes. I can pay my property tax's in Florida with the smoke money. Another incentive right there.

I've eaten more fish, chicken, applesauce, raw vegetables, and cottage cheese in the last two weeks than I have in 20 years. Bought my first ever loaf of wheat bread and gallon of 2% milk. No kidding either. Oh yeah, I also bought some CHICKEN sausage. Kinda scared to try that though. So far, the other stuff is not too bad tasting.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:47 PM

Congrats Tony for working towards being smoke free! You guys crack my up! Once your done with it, you'll notice how bad the inside of your vehicles smell like smoke and want to get them cleaned. At least that's how it was when my dad quit. Good luck man, I know you can do it!

Ric good luck with the test. I think as we get older we realize how important it is to eat right and exercise if we want to enjoy retirement and spend time with friends and family.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:27 PM

Hey Tony, not sure if the room we stayed in last year is any cheaper, if they let us, you can have ours. It's a balcony room facing the carshow. We're not going to make it this year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlintTony View Post
Ric, Ric, Ric, you've got to get out of bed a bit earlier in the morning to get the deals. See what time I posted that? You were still sawing logs for hours after I posted. I was burning up the phone lines by 6AM, looking for a driver.

On another note, I got my hotel info for Franknemuth today. 499.50 for two nights. I'm not staying there anymore. Been doing it for 25 years, but their prices are just ridiculous. I think I'll just come up Saturday and spend the day.
Old 03-17-2014, 04:34 AM

Thanks Brian, but I've decided not to spend the weekend this year.