ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > Chevrolet Chevelle Garage > Chevelle Engine & Trans

Old 12-10-2014, 03:40 PM

Default Powerglide to 4 speed

I'm back again with a question regarding my 64 Malibu. I am thinking of converting the existing Powerglide trans to a 4 speed. I will need the clutch pedal and linkage and bell housing, flywheel and a 4 speed to make all this happen. Can anybody give me short cuts financially to make this happen ?
I keep hearing 4 speeds from S10s and such. I do all my own work with a lot of guidance from you all and right now the car is running great. After the 4 speed maybe a cam and 4 barrel. But, I'll ask those questions then. Thank you again. And, Merry Christmas.
Old 12-10-2014, 04:20 PM

Put the clutch bell housing trans in and leave the shifter off. From underneath drill a small hole as a guide for the shifter hole. Slowly cut from there. Once you can see from the top and get the shifter in place. Trimming is easy. Better than a hole over there somewhere and putting a patch.

Correct pedals fit where the auto pedal is. Clutch pedal has the pin as part of it.
On older models 64-67 most have a bolt on block for the clutch rod. If not ground up sells the firewall bracket with it. My 66's and 65 had a plate you unbolted and the clutch rod boot went.

Put the linkage on from clutch pedal to the Z-Bar and from Z-bar to the clutch fork on the bellhousing. The frame pivot point on the Z-Bar. Adjust the linkage so it is 1/3 of the threads from a new start. Now hold the Z-bar so the mount is on the frame right and the linkage is taught. Mark it with primer or a scribe tool. I usually drill a small threaded hole at this point and bolt it to the frame. Then making sure the linkage is right. Then weld the pivot point to the frame. Camaros and later models that pivot was bolted with 2 bolts either works fine. But on yours it was welded in place.

S-10s are a hydraulic set up. More trouble than they worth.

Full sized trucks have the correct bell housing and clutch. Pedals are wrong shape but work. Z-Bar needs modified sometimes. Most changes can be made by making a linkage from a threaded rod. Such as lowes sells. So on the cheap any old GM trucks set up from a junk yard. Older the better. Impala even better but they are not abundant like when I was a pup. Old camaros are a excellent candidate. 70 up of that body style are practically perfect fits.

Or ground up sells the correct parts they are not that bad in price. I done it the right way and the hillbilly way in my youth. I put a 4 speed in a camaro from a 64 impala supersport before. That puts the shifter when in first where the radio is. Nothing a cutting wheel and a welder couldn't solve.
Old 12-11-2014, 04:49 AM

Default Powerglide to 4 speed

Thanks a lot for the info especially the donor car/truck part. You mentioned hillbilly, I'm in North Carolina.
Old 12-11-2014, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldguy64malibu View Post
Thanks a lot for the info especially the donor car/truck part. You mentioned hillbilly, I'm in North Carolina.
Northern Ky. Now it getting modern. But in my youth I was doing hay and tobacco. All old school farmers and farmland. Now the old guys died and their kids sold the land for subdivisions.

You can take the boy out of the country. But you can't take the country out of the boy.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:37 PM

Default Powerglide to 4-speed

Here on the coast of NC it is still pretty laid back. Tobacco is making a comeback as a cash crop. Lots of nice cars around. Most are built and owned by us older guys. We had a nice 1/8th mile track 10 minutes from the house but owner died, old age, and kids don't want anything to do with it. So, it will be sold off for housing or something. Farming and solar panel farms are taking off out here too. I guess nothing stays the same. Again, thanks for your help.
Old 01-13-2015, 03:28 PM

for the 65 chevelle 4 speed conversion parts call 608 778 0471 richard thanx