ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > Chevrolet Chevelle Garage > Chevelle Maintenance

Old 10-23-2012, 12:59 PM

Default What do other do over the winter

I was curious what other do for the winter months for those living in colder areas. I was considering trying to keep it going all year and not winterizing it. I live in MD and our winters can widely range from mild to very cold. Snow can at times be an issue but most years we don't get too much.

For those that keep it going, how often do you take it out during the colder months and do you do anything with the fuel? For those that don't , what are some basics tricks of the trade to winterize it?
Old 10-23-2012, 02:15 PM

I don't drive mine in the winter, they put too much salt on the roads here in MI. I put some fuel stabilizer in the tank, hook up a battery maintainer, if I remember, and cover it up. Our house is a tri-level with side entrance garage so garage is under the bedrooms and has 2 inside walls. It never freezes in the garage and since it's always warmer than outside, humidity, condensation is not a problem. If it was an unheated, detached garage I would probably have to rethink things.

70 Chevelle SS396(454), M20, 3.73
My Chevelle
Old 10-23-2012, 03:36 PM

If I were to hibernate it, it would only be from January-March. December usually has a few nice days with little snow if any and of course April things start to warm up.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:25 PM

Im very fortunate to live down south and can and do drive year round ,although we do on occasion get some snow ,then the classics stay indoors .

John
Old 10-24-2012, 09:19 PM
Bowtie Member

The past 14 years we always stored my car in my detached garage, never really considered climate controlled storage until last 2 years.

When weather was good, or when we needed to get to something in front of car, that is when we would pull it out. The only time that I really drove it with some snow on the roads was when I got my new tires and rims put on for my b'day which happens to be in March.

Like Hank said, they put too much salt on the roads here and it takes a while for it to wash away, come spring.

For the audio geek try: www.audiokarma.org

Old 10-26-2012, 08:26 AM

I never stored my Chevelles. Although this '64 will probably be different. I do, however, intend to drive it as much as I can throughout the year.

The Corvettes on the other hand, DO get put up for the winter. Inflate the tires to 45-50 psi to keep the flat spots out of them. (DO NOT drive on tires that full!) make sure the antifreeze is good to -34 degrees. Trickle charge the battery for 24 hours and then disconnect it. Throw a cover on to keep the dust down and you're done. If you store it outside, (which I've done) cover the car with old quilts or blankets. then put a car cover it, then cover all that with a waterproof tarp. The layers allow everything to breath and the tarp keeps ALL the moisture out. I did this on my black '82 Corvette. I brushed off the snow and ice in January and peeled everything back. It was just as clean and dry as it was the day I covered it up in November.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:40 PM
Bowtie Member

Alan you didn't mention putting stable in the gas, did you ever do that ? I am putting mine in a climate controlled storage, I was planning on putting stable in the gas. Pro's or con's on the stable?

For the audio geek try: www.audiokarma.org

Old 11-09-2012, 02:17 PM

ever have issues with having to fill bowls by filling them manually before starting it after a long winter?
Old 11-12-2012, 08:50 PM

I don't do anything to mine, just pull it in the garage. I do try to pull it out 2 or 3 times over the winter and start it and let it warm up to around 165-175. I'm running a 650 double pumper Holley carb and I never had any issues with having to fill bowls by filling them manually before starting it.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:30 PM

Fuel stabilizer like some have said. Please never, never start it once or twice a month and let it idle for 5 minutes! Old wife's tale, you will take years off your engine. You are better to let it sit all winter. If you do start it, allow it to fully warm up for a while so the condensation will burn out of the oil. If you start it once a week for 5 minutes, condensation will build up in the oil and you will end up with rusted cam lobes and white, greasy junk under the valve covers.