ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > Chevrolet Chevelle Car Talk > Chevrolet Corner

Old 09-28-2011, 05:34 PM
Bowtie Member

Default Converting a '71-'72 to a '70....really ?

I was reading the November 2011 Super Chevy issue when I saw the article on pg 58.

"TECH-SHEETMETAL SWAP"
"WHAT IT TAKES TO CONVERT A '71-'72 TO A '70"

OK, so I am not a purist at heart but I think that there is a line that shouldn't be crossed. The article talks about how the owner of the car really wanted a '70, but that they are not cheap. So he purchased a '71 at a "reasonable" price and then proceeded to pay a shop to do all the body conversions. Ironically the name of the shop is B.S. Industries.

The article does claim that the owner of the car does not plan to "cheat anyone" and that "The car is already fitted with a Schwartz Performance chassis and a few other non-factory upgrades, so there is no way this car will be mistaken for an original anyway."

The best part about this article is the fact that he bought the car at a "reasonable" price, and the price of just the parts to make it look like a '70 is over $3,600.

I don't know why this bothers me so much, but it does. All you guys know that I don't have a numbers matching, all original car. But I bought a '72 and it is a '72, with all '72 quarter panels. What do you think ?

For the audio geek try: www.audiokarma.org

Old 09-28-2011, 05:59 PM
Banned

I don't know what the allure of a 70 is,but if you want a 70 just buy a damn 70.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:19 PM

Buy mine!! LOL

The article mentions the production numbers and I just dont understand the math .... not very many more 71 and 72s out there compared to 70.

I always liked the 71 and twos better than the 70s anyhow, Big deal!!
Old 09-28-2011, 06:47 PM
Bowtie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rank View Post
Buy mine!! LOL

The article mentions the production numbers and I just dont understand the math .... not very many more 71 and 72s out there compared to 70.

I always liked the 71 and twos better than the 70s anyhow, Big deal!!
Me too.

The math of adding all those parts, with what the labor is going to cost, plus what he paid for the '72. Is it really worth it ?

Old 09-28-2011, 07:03 PM
Banned

If my dad had never bought a 70 SS brand new,I really would not care so much about what year Chevelle I owned.I looked for over 6 years to find that exact car,and settled for my black car. But,for me I'll never be satisifed until I get the car I learned to drive on. I remember that car like it was last week.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:02 PM
Bowtie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandsport View Post
If my dad had never bought a 70 SS brand new,I really would not care so much about what year Chevelle I owned.I looked for over 6 years to find that exact car,and settled for my black car. But,for me I'll never be satisifed until I get the car I learned to drive on. I remember that car like it was last week.
That is so cool. I think for a lot of us, the car that we want is because it brings back memories. Mine is finding an older Rambler. I remember my dad driving a little red Rambler. My mom just can't remember exactly what year the car was.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Grumpy View Post
That is so cool. I think for a lot of us, the car that we want is because it brings back memories. Mine is finding an older Rambler. I remember my dad driving a little red Rambler. My mom just can't remember exactly what year the car was.
Forest Green,white stripes,cowl induction.Automatic,air,tilt wheel,lamp monitors.General white lettered tires.No,I don't remember that car.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:05 PM

I have no shame. I'd build what I want using whatever I can afford... If I was looking for a '70 project, but the right deal on a '71-'72 came up, I wouldn't hesitate to buy and change it.

I'd do the same to a lot of cars... any 68-72 El Camino I'd put a '69 nose on. Any 68-72 Nova I'd put the '68 bumpers and grille on. Any 16-22 Model T I'd put a '15 hood, radiator, and fenders on.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:13 PM

had a friend with a 57 chev and a 55 front clip on it .... weird!

.... but what I was try to convey with my earlier post ... given the production numbers by the article writer 200 rhousand 70's produced tells me they are not rare at all
Old 09-28-2011, 09:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek69SS View Post
I have no shame. I'd build what I want using whatever I can afford... If I was looking for a '70 project, but the right deal on a '71-'72 came up, I wouldn't hesitate to buy and change it.

I'd do the same to a lot of cars... any 68-72 El Camino I'd put a '69 nose on. Any 68-72 Nova I'd put the '68 bumpers and grille on. Any 16-22 Model T I'd put a '15 hood, radiator, and fenders on.
Can I put a Pacifica front end on a Genesis coupe?