ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > Chevrolet Chevelle Car Talk > Chevrolet Corner

Old 02-21-2013, 09:45 AM
Bowtie Member

Default Looking for a 1970 story...

This e-mail was forwarded to me by Mrs. flash. I would hope that someone/somewhere will step up and make this dream a reality.

Below is an e-mail Lon Greenwood received and asked me to pass along to our membership. If you have or know of someone who has a 1970 Chevelle and might be interested in this project please share this information with them. Please contact Anthony Sayo directly if you have any interest in helping with this.
>
>
> -------- Original Message --------
> Subject: 1970 Chevelle Veteran Tribute Car
> From: AJ Sayo <ajmac86@yahoo.com<mailto:ajmac86@yahoo.com
>

> Good day, Sir. We spoke earlier about the Chevelle project that is in the works. I'd now like explain who I am, and a little about the project.
>
> I am a 26 year old former Marine who served from 2005 to 2011. I retired and then moved from North Carolina to local Atlantic Beach, Florida. I was injured in 2007 in Iraq and received a Purple Heart for my service. I realized early on after being injured that restoring cars was therapeutic for me, and have since restored several 50s and 60s cars. In addition to my restoration ventures, I was also recruited into a pilot program at East Carolina University in Greenville, NC that has instituted a cutting-edge program that deals in war related injuries. The program was founded by a resident professor that had served in Vietnam as a Marine, and he himself was still confronting some issues that remained from the war 40 years previous. After several years of interaction with Dr. Carmen Russoniello, he had opened up to me about a friend who was killed in action in Vietnam. His name was Peter Machen.
>
> In one of Peter's last letters home from Vietnam he expressed to his parents that he was going saving money to purchase a brand new 1970 Chevelle SS 396 (specifically). Unfortunately Peter's dream never came to fruition and he was injured in combat and died soon after at the Naval Hospital in Bethesda, Maryland. Fast forward 40 years and my friend, the professor, by chance comes upon a website dedicated to his friend from Vietnam, Peter. He sees the copy of that letter to his parents, and born is this idea.
>
> Carmen made contact with Peter's family in Maryland and together they have decided to build a car in memory of Peter, and every veteran. The idea is to build this car here in Florida, tour the country (think Power Tour), and possibly auction it off for profit, of course going to an organization for veterans.
>
> General Motors is going to be a part of this project as well. They have approved the plan and are overseeing a budget as we speak. A film company based in Los Angeles has already signed on and they are going to document the build, do a back story on everyone involved, and eventually put together a documentary/short film. At the very beginning of this venture we had found a suitable car, but wondered how we would get all the funding and film support. The car fell through and the film and budget are already in place! So- here we are.
>
> We are looking for a 1970 Chevelle hardtop. Of course any Malibu could be made into a Chevelle clone, and that is okay, but the closer we can get to a real Chevelle... Would be great! We've decide that the worse off the car is (within reason), the better. The build of the car will the metaphorical "rising of the Phoenix from the ashes." We are going to bring the car back to life, therefore fulfilling Peter's dream- 43 years later.
>
> Ideally, the car will be a free rolling driver. The condition of the drivetrain is unimportant as all components of the car will either be new, or refurbished. A local car would be ideal/advantageous, but any lead on a 70 in the southeast region would be great, too. Also, anyone who has any original parts such a 4 speed Muncie, or a set of wheels, etc etc- that would be much appreciated as well.
>
> Lon, thank you for offering a helping hand. I am sure that with your help, this will reach the right audience! As a member of a local car club, I know that the NE Florida region is HUGE in numbers of classic car enthusiasts. I look forward to working with many of you on this project, and I thank you for your time.
>
> Anthony Sayo
> LCpl, USMC (Ret.)
> (409) 350-8545
> ajmac86@yahoo.com<mailto:ajmac86@yahoo.com>
>
>
> Stephanie Cassidy
> Secretary/Treasurer
> First Coast Car Council, Inc.
> PH: 904-635-6079
>
>
>
>
> --
>
> This email was Anti Virus checked by Astaro Security Gateway. http://www.astaro.com
>
> This message (including any attachments) is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is non-public, proprietary, privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law or may constitute as attorney work product. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, notify us immediately by telephone and (i) destroy this message if a facsimile or (ii) delete this message immediately if this is an electronic communication. Thank you.

For the audio geek try: www.audiokarma.org

Old 02-21-2013, 10:44 AM

Send a message via AIM to BillsCamino

A good friend of mine is selling this '70...and it comes with a parts car. And it's very close to NE Florida...here in GA.
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/cto/3607742421.html
Old 02-21-2013, 11:09 AM

Bill ,are these Gary's cars ?

John
Old 02-21-2013, 01:43 PM

Send a message via AIM to BillsCamino

Yes John, they are Gary's.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:14 AM

BTTT

I wish I'd known this post existed! I missed the ball on that car/parts car...

So far I have heard from only one person regarding this project, and he was blowing smoke. I hoped SOMEBODY would be interested!

Contact me anytime!

A
Old 03-12-2013, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillsCamino View Post
A good friend of mine is selling this '70...and it comes with a parts car. And it's very close to NE Florida...here in GA.
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/cto/3607742421.html
Wonder why the posting has been flagged?
Old 03-13-2013, 07:19 PM

To bad this car is far away, looks like a good starting platform to work from.

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/cto/3670883338.html
Old 03-13-2013, 08:17 PM
Bowtie Member

Doesn't look like there is a motor there. Front end sitting a little high.

For the audio geek try: www.audiokarma.org

Old 03-14-2013, 06:08 PM

The motor and trans are the easy part to get. Getting a body that's worth building with no rust that's the hard part.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:47 AM

Found a numbers matching 396 SS car out near Los Angeles. It's ugly, but it'll do.