ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > Chevrolet Chevelle Garage > Chevelle Interiors

Old 12-26-2012, 11:02 AM

Default '65 Convertible Quarter Window Rollers

The quarter windows on my '65 are difficult to crank up and down. The window assembly has three nylon glides that appear to swivel. they look like rollers but are stiffer. Are replacements available? The catalogs don't show the exact replacements.

Thanks,

David Browe
Old 12-26-2012, 01:37 PM

Im sure someone knows where to find them but you might try Ausleys Chevelle Parts in N. Carolina .

John
Old 01-21-2013, 08:03 AM

If you must replace them, Ecklers shows them.

Personally, I've found that the original units are often just in need of a good cleaning and re-lubricating.

1. Don't use aliphatic hydrocarbons to clean them. The rollers are nylon and will disintegrate if exposed to aliphatic hydrocarbon cleaners (i.e. brake cleaner, carb cleaner, heavy duty electrical contact cleaner, etc.)

2. Purple Power or simple kerosene work fine. Just let them soak first. Don't rush it. Eventually you will get the rollers to rotate - after the cleaner has penetrated the roller and softened up that hardened factory grease. Once the solvent penetrates the funk, begin to GENTLY work the roller back and forth with a set of soft-jawed channel locks (i.e. wrap electrical tape around the jaws of the channel locks). The roller will eventually free up. As you work them, flush them several times with plenty of clean solvent to flush out the grit and dirt. Get all that funk out of there before any relubing, or you will be sorry later. When totally clean and free, lubricate them with spray moly lube or white lithium spray grease. Use the spray type, it has a carrying solvent which will deliver the lube into the roller's bearing surface. Don't forget to completely clean and relube the window roller channels.

That's it... You're good to go for another 15-20 years.

Tubes rule, transistors drool

KT88
Old 01-22-2013, 02:39 PM

Funny, I just pulled mine out this weekend. I ordered them from Classic Parts Source.

http://www.classicpartssource.com/ch...gulator+roller