ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > Chevrolet Chevelle Garage > Chevelle Interiors

Old 03-21-2014, 06:46 PM
Bowtie Member

Default More boxes today. What's in the boxes ??

Today I stopped and picked up more boxes. And again I didn't question what was in the boxes. You see it is not unusual for us to get boxes all the time. Between Audio Equiptment and Air gun stuff, I am picking up and shipping boxes all the time.

So I didn't pay attention, again. And the clerk from the UPS store carried them out and put them in the van for me. And my son Jacob brought them into the house. Now I have been maneuvering around the boxes in my kitchen for the afternoon.

A couple of minutes ago David handed me his laptop and there was a picture of what was in the boxes.

A New set of Chevelle Seat Covers.

I just have to get the springs and the foam, any suggestions ? But I do have to say that it is a toss up whether this is the best birthday ever, or when he gave me the tires and rims. I am one happy lady !!!!

For the audio geek try: www.audiokarma.org

Old 03-21-2014, 07:26 PM

If your springs are not broken there is really no need to replace them. Or if you have just a couple broken springs, you can buy what you need to fix them. The foams I would go with ACI foams, they are made in the USA- they are a softer material, they look and feel just like the originals did. You are going to have a good sounding car and nice interior to boot this year.

ACI "AMERICAN CUSHION INDUSTRY

Last edited by shadowgray396; 03-21-2014 at 07:37 PM.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:27 PM

Those are goona be nice .

John
Old 03-21-2014, 08:52 PM
Bowtie Member

Ray the springs are not broken, but they don't offer much support. And I am going to check into the ACI foam.

After more inspection I have learned that they are more than just seat covers. They are TMI seat covers with beefed up bolstering to give support like performance seats and they are made to match my interior. I am still stunned that I have a man who understands what I want. And it is parts for my car. Wow !!

Old 03-21-2014, 08:55 PM
Bowtie Member

flash I was so excited before with just being able to have the car a little quieter. Now I am going to ride in comfort. I want to go and get my car right now !!

Old 03-21-2014, 10:26 PM

I'm going to redo my front seats with ACI foams. I wish I had used them on mine. My front seats are to stiff and make me sit to high in the car hitting the headliner. The support problem may be you foams underneath and not the springs.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:29 PM
Bowtie Member

Ray I know that a couple of the springs were replaces when we redid the seats about 2 yrs ago. I cannot remember what foam we used, I am pretty sure that it is was new but probably from NPD. Do you really think that the springs would be OK ? Do you think that it would work to measure a new spring against an old spring ? If so, how much compression would be acceptable ?

Old 03-22-2014, 11:07 PM

If you take the seats apart and you have more broken springs I would replace them. You could do a comparison and see. Mine were really close to the same before replaced mine, I just had a lot of broken springs and heavy rust on mine.
Old 03-23-2014, 02:29 PM
Bowtie Member

Question. In the description of the seat foam it says:

"W/O Hog Ring Bolster Cutouts (A.k.a Smooth Style)".

CHEVELLE, EL CAMINO AND MALIBU, SMOOTH IS A MORE COMMON STYLE FOR 70-72 MODELS, SEE C-SF-102 FOR FOAM W/ HOG RING BOLSTER CUTOUTS

So since I have the TMI seat covers with beefed up bolstering that will give me the side support that I am looking for. Should I go with the foam that is "with" or "without" the hog ring bolster cutouts. And I am going to be a "blond" on this one. But what the heck is the Hog ring bolster cutout ?

Old 03-23-2014, 04:26 PM

There is a slit in the foam, not all the way through, between the flat part of the seat and the bolster. A thin steel rod slips into a pocket on the bottom side of the seat cover, along the edge of the bolster. A hog ring is a clip that is used to fasten the seat cover to the springs. I have a lot of the clips and the pliers to install them if you need them. The hog rings go around the outside edges and around the rod at the edge of the bolster. The rod is pulled down tight into the slit and hog ringed to the springs below. This gives the center section a bit of curve as it's pulled down and really defines the bolster.

You need to look at your new seat covers and see if they have that loop of fabric between the center section and bolster on each side. Hopefully that will tell you what kind of foam you need.

Hog rings, they're like the rings farmers clamp into a hogs ear to mark it.

Wish I had boxes like that showing up at my door!

70 Chevelle SS396(454), M20, 3.73
My Chevelle