ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > Chevrolet Chevelle Performance > Chevelle Pro-Touring

Old 04-13-2010, 10:22 PM

Default This year's upgrades

I'm in the process of swapping my 12-bolt for a 9"... the center section is a stock 78 Ford truck 31-spline 3.50 posi. The housing and axles are Moser Engineering from "big gear head" Freddie Byars.

Also adding a Hellwig chassis-mounted adjustable rate rear sway-bar, and some adjustable rear Varishocks. This will add a lot more tuneability to my setup, which I desperately needed... was really band-aiding the balance with stiff springs that were under-dampened last year.

I didn't take a pic tonight, but I've got everything in now, just need to to tighten up the sway-bar, stick some springs in, and bleed the brakes. Also looks like I might need a new driveshaft...
Old 04-15-2010, 08:27 PM

Im contemplating a rear swap myself right now. I really want to get it done, but the thought of spending more money on the car after doing the 505 and tremec tko conversion last year just makes me shudder. I'm really afraid though that once I bolt my slicks on the rearend is going to give up on me.

Jeff
2006 Cadillac CTS-V LS2 and a 6 speed
Old 04-16-2010, 05:02 PM

I did all that last year but I haven't driven the car yet. I'm hoping everything turns out as planned. Derek, We need pictures!! Nice '69 Chevelle!
Robert. A cool wife who understands is a wonderful thing! 67 Elky Global West suspension kit with coil over QA1's,435hp Edy Crate,700R4, Currie +9 3:75, Disc brakes front and rear, Dakota Digital gauge package, 12 circuit Painless wiring kit, Ididit tilt Colum, etc.
Old 04-16-2010, 05:03 PM

Oh, wait a minute I just entered the win this car on powerblock yesterday. I'm going to win that '67 Mustang soon... Wake up Bobby your chance of winning anything is -100%.
Robert. A cool wife who understands is a wonderful thing! 67 Elky Global West suspension kit with coil over QA1's,435hp Edy Crate,700R4, Currie +9 3:75, Disc brakes front and rear, Dakota Digital gauge package, 12 circuit Painless wiring kit, Ididit tilt Colum, etc.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:28 AM

Getting closer... had to have a new driveshaft made, so I went heavy with 1350 U-joints. Had to modify my trans crossmember to keep the driveshaft from rubbing the tunnel.

Would have had it done last night, but I tore the garage apart looking for the U-bolts that connect the driveshaft to the pinion, and could only find one of them. Will get some new ones after work.

Bled and flushed the rear brakes last night, and want to flush the fronts tonight. Then all I have to do is bolt the wheels on, and wash the car before I drive it.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:33 AM
Administrator Bowtie Member

That sure is a purdy rear end, for a ford
Old 04-20-2010, 10:54 PM

Yeah, I expect to take some abuse for putting a Ford rear end in my car, but their low pinion location really makes it easy to get great driveline angles with a car that sits as low as mine does.

With the 12-bolt, I had my transmission touching the tunnel, and couldn't even get 1deg operating angles. With the 9", I was able to lower the transmission slightly to make room for a bigger driveshaft, and still was able to get 2 degrees.

The other major deciding factor is that I wanted the 3.50 gears for now, but want to swap back to something deeper when I put the 6-speed in... didn't want to put money into a 12-bolt, just to have to redo it again later.