ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > The Backyard meeting spot > Off Topic > Cooking and Spirits

Old 09-27-2010, 09:44 PM
Bowtie Member

Jake, the menu sounds delicious and like someplace I would want to eat at. Especially if you have a pastry chef who can add to your amazing menu.

I was just wondering what your average price point is going to be ? Is the location in an area that the demographics will be attracted by the menu ?

For the audio geek try: www.audiokarma.org

Old 09-27-2010, 09:51 PM
Bowtie Member

I love the salads listed on your menu. I am a huge Caesar salad fan. I really like when they make the dressing themselves. I am just not a huge fan of a lot anchovy oil or paste in my dressing. I have tried to make the caesar dressing but was wondering if you have a good recipe. I am not asking you to give away your "secret" recipe, but I still figured I would ask.
Thanks, Nancy

Old 09-27-2010, 09:54 PM

These will probably range from $6 to $12 lunches, and the breakfasts will be a little lower.

We're on a busy road, that sees a lot of commuter traffic. There is a nice lounge with sofas and a patio outside, and the coffee bar, and the dining room, and word spreads fast in our little community.

We're hoping the people around here are like us, and waiting for a good place to go get a bite. Everything else around here is the same old thing...plop, slop, next.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Grumpy View Post
I love the salads listed on your menu. I am a huge Caesar salad fan. I really like when they make the dressing themselves. I am just not a huge fan of a lot anchovy oil or paste in my dressing. I have tried to make the caesar dressing but was wondering if you have a good recipe. I am not asking you to give away your "secret" recipe, but I still figured I would ask.
Thanks, Nancy

Caesar is easy to mess up. I've done it a BUNCH of times. When it is made from scratch, it is a chemical reaction that binds the ingredients. It is called a cold emulsification. This is best done in a food processor or blender. Even an electric mixer with whisk(s) will work. For an emulsification to take place, you need a fat (olive oil), an acid (lemon juice), and raw egg. It helps if the acid is warmed. To flavor it, black pepper, garlic, hard smelly cheese and anchovies are added.
Then, the oil is added to the rest of the ingredients with the blender going, and with the elements present in the mixture, items that otherwise couldn't blend together all of a sudden are made into a homogenous suspension of scientific marvel.

When they are added in the right proportions, you can't taste one over the other, they all balance out. That is how I cook, nothing really overpowers anything else.

All that being said, start with an egg/vinegar emulsification (mayo) that is already done, and add the rest of the stuff at your house. This recipe has worcestershire in it too, it is pretty decent dressing, and is so close to what I'll be using.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...Dressing-11892
Old 10-30-2010, 09:41 PM

Update...

I've hired a few cooks, they are younger guys with limited experience, but already respect me because they're seeing me as someone they can learn from. I have them taste the things I've created and they look at me funny. Example, the pepper slaw for the crab cake...it is kind of loud, and a little strong by itself with the main flavor being the tang of the bell pepper and sweetness of the carrots. It is crunchy, and strange to eat all alone, but when you get a bite of the slaw AND the cold sauce, and the crab cake, it is enough to make you swoon. Deeeeelicious. Warm Maryland-style lump crabmeat crab cake seared in butter, cold dijon mustard cream, and the pepper slaw. Self garnishing food is righteous, and once this is on the plate, it needs nothing.... like something you'd see on TV. Hot, cold, bitter, sweet, spicy, salty, crunchy, soft, creamy, savory... it is all there. There are only 5 ways the taste buds of a human being can be stimulated. All of those elements are in this dish. It is friggin genius. Everything else I created to put on this menu has the same level of technicality and thought behind it.

We're opening this wednesday...

Last edited by Highway Star; 10-30-2010 at 09:44 PM.
Old 10-31-2010, 07:16 AM

Sounds like you're enjoying this Jake. Good luck on the opening.

70 Chevelle SS396(454), M20, 3.73
My Chevelle
Old 11-01-2010, 11:27 AM

Jake:

Best of luck!!!

Durand
Old 11-01-2010, 02:23 PM
Bowtie Member

Everytime I read this post, it makes me hungry. Thanks for the Caesar dressing pointers, I will let you know how they work out for me.

I wish you so much luck on the opening this week. Post the address so that anyone can come that lives close enough.

The menu sounds delicious, everytime I read it. Again, best of luck !!!
And let us know how things go.

Old 11-07-2010, 08:53 PM

Gumbo Du Jour (currently chicken)

Lump Crab Cakes

Stuffed French Toast

Handmade Pork Sausage Croissant with aged cheddar omelet on fresh Croissant

Bacon Smoked Gouda Grits with Poached Egg

Kid Pizza
Old 11-07-2010, 08:54 PM

Kid Sliders

Muffuletta Sandwich

Balsamic Roasted Vegetables with Boursin, and Crostini

I've been busy guys, we're open. I haven't and won't have a day off for a while. These are only some of the dishes. I'll post more as I take them. No car builds now, I'm building orders and plates and recipes.