ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > Chevrolet Chevelle Car Talk > Chevelle Gallery

Old 08-30-2012, 05:29 PM

I hit a snag today. I got the radiator support painted and the engine and trans set in the frame. I got the wrong engine mounts, so I'll have to get the long style. It seems to me I had this same problem when I built the first car. The trans mount lined up perfect. As soon as I get the correct mounts, I can bolt it in there and start putting pieces back on the car.

Old 08-31-2012, 05:46 PM

I got a little more progress on the Chevelle today. I'm having a problem finding solid mounts for it, so I made some wood mounts to get my engine height right to fit some things while I locate the right mounts for it. Here's where I landed today.

Old 09-01-2012, 01:32 PM
Bowtie Member

It is really neat to see the progress of the past year in this thread. Isn't it amazing thinking back to when you got the car to where you are now. Yeah, yeah, we all think we are going to be further along on the build, but there are always those nasty speed bumps that slow us down, looking for parts, making things fit, extra body work, it never ends. That must be why they call us car nuts !!!

I love the fact that your daughter came out and helped you. Now you know if you teach her how to paint that it won't end there. "Hey daddy, I want a car" will be the next step. lol

I do have to say that I like the red block and I like the red pin stripe on the firewall too. I think it is cool looking.

For the audio geek try: www.audiokarma.org

Old 09-01-2012, 04:13 PM

Thanks! The red pinstripe is actually a masked off graphic that I sprayed on. Back in the late '80's and early '90's, Chevy's advertising campaign was "The Heartbeat of America. Today's Chevrolet". The graphic was supposed to represent the Chevelle's heart was beating. My front license plate said, "The Heartbeat of America. Yesterday's Chevrolet".

Funny you mention the car thing. I own a hotrod shop so there's always projects coming and going. A couple weeks ago I sold a '53 Ford Kustom and drug home a '61 Bel Air. Cora, (the daughter pictured) fell in love so I gave it to her with the condition that SHE be the one to do the work on it. She's already rebuilt the carburetor on it and is motivated to have the coolest car in the high school parking lot next year.

Here she is with her car the day after I drug it home.

Here's an action shot of her rebuilding the carburetor. I think she's scraping the gaskets here. Check out the intensity!

Last edited by earthquake68; 09-01-2012 at 04:29 PM.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:21 AM

So what year Ford PU in the back ground. I had a 74 and loved it. Gas was cheap back then.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:55 AM

It's actually a '79, but I back-dated it to a '77. I like those grills better. I told ya there's always something cool floating around.

I'm building a full custom '66 Ford for a guy now and trying to find time in between everything else to finish up my wife's 'Vette. The '66 Ford pick up will appear stock when it's done. It's actually an '85 Bronco that I skinned with a '66 Ford long bed. The looks of a '66 with cruise, tilt, A/C, power disc brakes, 4 wheel drive with a soft ride suspension, power steering, etc.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:09 PM

I got the front filler panel, the upper grill support and grill braces prepped and painted today. I'll get the radiator support reassembled tomorrow and get a picture. It's starting to look like a car again!
Old 09-03-2012, 01:37 PM

Here's pictures of where I am today. I wire wheeled all the hardware, chased the threads and anti-seized everything. If I have to take it apart again, it should be easy.

Old 09-03-2012, 07:56 PM

Its looking great ,keep up the good work and keep us posted on your daughters project .

John
Old 09-05-2012, 03:59 PM

I just ordered the front end parts for the Chevelle. Hopefully, I'll have everything cleaned, painted, new parts installed and back on the car by next weekend. I'm starting to get excited.