ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > Chevrolet Chevelle Garage > Chevelle Maintenance

Old 05-25-2015, 08:30 AM

Default Need help Bad Proportioning Valve

Just put it in didn't even drive the car yet. I noticed a spot on the floor this morning sure enough the brass proportioning valve I got from Inline Tube looks to be leaking from the switch that makes the dash light come on. The pin that the connector goes on is very loose and wobbles around. Has anyone bought a good proportioning valve from anyone for factory front discs rear drum. Does anyone sell rebuilt original cast iron ones.
Old 05-25-2015, 08:46 AM
Administrator

See if Right Stuff Detailing has one. I just used their front disc conversion kit and all is well. http://www.getdiscbrakes.com/
Old 05-25-2015, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Hayes View Post
See if Right Stuff Detailing has one. I just used their front disc conversion kit and all is well. http://www.getdiscbrakes.com/
Hi, Ken did yours come with a proportioning valve.
Old 05-28-2015, 07:15 AM

Well I ordered a new combination valve from the Right Stuff. I also talked with Inline Tube on Tuesday and sent them a picture of the failed switch that I had taken apart. They said they would not replace it because I bought it on 7/2013 but would probably give me a break on the cost of a new one. Well Inline Tube responded back to me on Wednesday and asked for my mailing address so they could have their vendor send me a new valve. Here is a picture of the switch. The black piece I thought was a o-ring but it looks like something that might have been put in the groove of the white piece to create a seal. That is exactly how it came out when I pressed the white piece out of the housing. Also notice the large diameter of the white piece on one side it's straight down all the way and on the other side it is cut into the part almost like it wasn't running true. Also this is a message I sent back to them with my mailing address.

Thank You. There are many of these valves out there that are failing, I know I am not the only one. Your not the only vendor that people are getting bad valves from but the majority are saying they purchased theirs from you also. They are leaking at both the switch and at the end where the black rubber cap is. My main concern that caused me to report this to you is this isn't just a repro taillight bezel that doesn't fit quite right it is a part that could lead to very serious injury or death. If this was a part for a new car there would be a recall on it. After examining the parts closer last night I have come to the conclusion the black piece is not an o-ring but does look like it was something that was put in the groove of the white piece to aid in sealing. In the photo I sent you will also notice on the white piece on the biggest diameter on one side the side is straight and on the other it is cut in almost like it wasn't running true when it was made. I Thank You again and hope this doesn't end with me but gets some attention to correct the problems so in the future people can buy a part they can have faith in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	3566  

Last edited by hkalin; 05-28-2015 at 07:17 AM.
Old 05-28-2015, 10:14 AM
Administrator

That white part looks like it was cut "cam" style. Being a retired toolmaker I agree with you on that being a defective part.

Hank, my valve came with my kit along with a new booster and master cylinder. Everything works great. This car will now stop on a dime and give me 20¢ change. If I were you I would go with Right Stuff on a new valve.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0340.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	3567  
Old 05-28-2015, 11:18 AM

Guys ,if you ever have a chance to visit Right Stuff Detailing's operation I highly recommend it ,very nice place to visit and see how things are done and they also have a nice Camaro collection .

John
Old 05-28-2015, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Hayes View Post
That white part looks like it was cut "cam" style. Being a retired toolmaker I agree with you on that being a defective part.

Hank, my valve came with my kit along with a new booster and master cylinder. Everything works great. This car will now stop on a dime and give me 20¢ change. If I were you I would go with Right Stuff on a new valve.
Ken, how nice that shiny new booster and new MC look on your car. Even though Inline is going to send me a new valve I will be putting the one I ordered from the Right Stuff in. It is supposed to be here today.