ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > Chevrolet Chevelle Garage > Chevelle Engine & Trans

Old 12-20-2013, 10:21 AM

Found a company called SCE gaskets.
Watch the video.....give em a call.
Old 12-20-2013, 06:57 PM
Administrator

MPRAT, try looking at this post from TC about same problem I think.
http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=549978
Old 04-24-2014, 02:23 PM

Well been awhile since I have been here, still working on the overheating problem with this car. Since I have removed the "O" rings from the block and install back regular head gaskets and got it back running again. While test driving this it began to miss fire so back to the garage and remove the valve covers because of knocking lifter noise to find the engine had ate a quarter inch off the #4 intake lifter and of course ate the cam lobe in the process. So I just decided to pull the engine and start fresh. Took block and heads to local machine shop to have them checked out and ended needing to have the block and heads cut to make em flat again. Checked the cooling system and the block was clean with no blockage. Now after putting all back together again, running great took it out for a test drive to check to see if it still has an overheating problem. After a few miles it got up to 190deg cruising at 50mps then to 195, turned back and headed home, up to 200deg, then 205deg then back home at 210deg, pulled in garage everything working fine, fans running, just a small amount of water in overflow tank. Still this thing overheats for no reason I can find. While apart I checked everything from water pump to radiator everything was fine. I cannot understand what in the hell the problem is. You would think if the engine cooling system is clear that it has to be something up front. I am getting really frustrated with this car. It is not a hot day here, cloudy outside, I would hate to see if I used the air-cond or got caught in any traffic... have tried everything I know and all suggestions... I don't even know a good mechanic shop to give it to and let them have a go at it.... I so hate this car right now....
Old 04-24-2014, 06:39 PM
Bowtie Member

I had the same problem with my car overheating and just could not figure it out. I had so many people tell me it was the thermostat and last year on the way to the NOCC show I had a problem with it getting to hot again. So when we got to Strongsville I had many people telling me what they thought it was. Ultimately changed the thermostat, AGAIN, and drove it home. My brother, who did alot of the engine work on my car told me that I needed a racing thermostat. He tested it on the stove and even drilled a small hole in it and now my car runs cool. I will ask him what the name of it is if you are interested.

For the audio geek try: www.audiokarma.org

Old 04-24-2014, 07:40 PM

Ms Grumpy ,Im interested in a good thermostat recomendation for my truck ,small block 350 crate motor ,260 HP ,with Vintage Air .I have a 4 core aluminum radiator and a clutch fan on order and should be here soon.

John
Old 04-27-2014, 07:20 AM

I was pondering this and the same thing Ms Grumpy said hit me last night. I am on a van forum. Same issue with overheating. Todays T-stats must have terrible quality control. It takes several T -stats to find one that works. I went through 4 before I got one that worked. Other members there go through it every spring.
Old 05-01-2014, 01:41 PM

Well I have changed the thermostat several times, even ran it without one, whats strange is not matter what I try or do to this thing it never changes what it does. It does the exact same thing every time. Last night I tried one more time just to see how hot it would go if I kept going. The temp keeps on going up I stopped it at 230, pulling it in the garage and putting a big fan in front to see if it would cool down did not work but only a couple of deg. I have contacted a local mechanic shop as a last result because I give up. It goes in next Thursday and I will hope another set of eyes can see something I cannot. I will give an update and hope its something simple but I doubt it. Then this thing is going on the auction block.......
Old 05-01-2014, 03:54 PM

Just curious but what kind of fuel are you running? A buddy of mine has a built up big block and if he runs any type of pump gas his car overheats. It may be worth a try to use some 100+ octane fuel to see if it helps out.
Old 05-01-2014, 06:25 PM
Bowtie Member

John sorry it took so long to get back on this. I am pretty sure it was Mr Gasket high flow. I think I bought it at Oreilys.

For the audio geek try: www.audiokarma.org