ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > Chevrolet Chevelle Garage > Electrical

Old 04-24-2012, 09:28 AM

Default Fuel Gauge, Lighter, Interior Dome Light Issue

I was recently given a 1967 4 door hardtop Chevelle Malibu. The fuel gauge is peg to full, cigarette light and interior dome light don't work. I check and cleaned the ground on the fuel tank that attaches to the frame. I don't know too much about cars and don't want to get discouraged. Any suggestions?
Old 04-24-2012, 10:41 AM

Send a message via AIM to SS Shaun

cant help you with the light and the lighter but i can tell you to check the sending unit wiring harness to make sure its good and you can also check the sending unit to see if the float is good and sending a good signal. I am not sure on the ohms readings from full to empty but i know it changes when you move the float. it sounds to me like the sending unit might be bad and not sending the right signal to the gauge. I only know this because i had it happen to me in another car. not sure if its the same on the chevelle
Old 10-16-2012, 10:02 PM

Funny story. I installed a new radio to replace the father inlaws radio. Went for a ride and the brake lights weren't working along with the fuel gauge and dome light. There is a connector behind the rear seat that was "jacked" up, after fixing it, the brake lights work, then the dome and fuel gauge are working now. Almost bought a sending unit.
Old 12-23-2012, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aristoman View Post
I was recently given a 1967 4 door hardtop Chevelle Malibu. The fuel gauge is peg to full, cigarette light and interior dome leds light don't work. I check and cleaned the ground on the fuel tank that attaches to the frame. I don't know too much about cars and don't want to get discouraged. Any suggestions?
Have you checked connections and fuses?

Last edited by Joshuataylor; 12-23-2012 at 09:05 AM.
Old 06-06-2013, 03:54 AM

Default reply

LED lights for cars are also shatter proof and free from Mercury, making them much safer for home and the environment.
Old 06-06-2013, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aristoman View Post
I was recently given a 1967 4 door hardtop Chevelle Malibu. The fuel gauge is peg to full, cigarette light and interior dome light don't work. I check and cleaned the ground on the fuel tank that attaches to the frame. I don't know too much about cars and don't want to get discouraged. Any suggestions?
Change the fuse for the lighter and dome lights, on my 71 they operate off the same fuse it looked good but was bad. You could have a bad sending unit in the gas tank.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:00 AM

If it's like a 70 the tan wire going to the sending unit is accessable behind the rear license plate. Pull the connection apart, with ignition on the gauge should go to empty. If not then it's the wiring, maybe grounded somewhere or the gauge. The wire goes up through the trunk then under the carpet and up to the dash.

70 Chevelle SS396(454), M20, 3.73
My Chevelle