ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > Chevrolet Chevelle Garage > Chevelle Engine & Trans
Register FAQ Chevelle Chat Room Community Calendar

Old 01-09-2011, 11:05 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Supspt454

Well, after running the $$$ on each combo, and my current vehicle situation, the rising fuel prices, and the projected fuel prices...I think I'm going to do a light overhaul on the TBI 350. If I spend leas then a grand on getting it right, along with it's 4l60e, and computer, I think I can get at least 17 to 18 mpg out of the car. I can park my diesel, and use it as a daily driver till fuel cost come down.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:03 PM

Good move, keep a eye out for a used and inexpensive TPI setup during the rebuild ... for a nice setup.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rank View Post
Good move, keep a eye out for a used and inexpensive TPI setup during the rebuild ... for a nice setup.
I'll be keeping my 454 for a later build. But for now, the 350 will be good for economy and so I can enjoy this car. It's been a very long time since it wa driven. Was there much of a difference between performance between TPI and TBI? And is it worth spending the extra money for the TPI parts? I have a complete TBI engine, trans, harness, and ECM. I don't want to get to crazy with the small block. I still plan on the BBC one day.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:28 PM

TPI are known for having a crapload of torque, and running out of steam by 4500rpm... they're effectionately known by the 3rd gen Camaro guys as "the best truck engine that was never put in a truck"

Neither are very good for performance by today's standards, but the TPI has more potential if you want to stick money into it... but I wouldn't stick much into one of those either... at that point, just go LS.
Old 01-16-2011, 05:19 PM

I change my mind on engine combos every day, 10 times a day. I have three choices and have completely different combos of that. Its killing me!!! What to do, what to do.

I am still having the idea of a DD for awhile. So, I probably wont build the BBC. They can all sit over in the corner. I have three of those, two 396s, and a Gen V 454. But...As for the rest, LS1 and that expensive set of headers, wire harness mods, and computer mods, and... Probably still leaning toward the TBI 350 and 4L60E, but I have to freshen it up. Maybe I should just sell the whole dang car and engine mess and find a 2000 to 2002 Camaro SS and just drive the heck out of that? What fun would that be though.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:51 PM

UPDATE:

Well, here is what has happened since the last post. Sold my GEN V 454, traded the TBI 350, and 4L60E for Edelbrock Conversion Headers for the LS1. SOOOOOOOO, it looks like I am going ahead with the LS1 conversion. Keep in mind, this engine came out of a 98 Camaro SS, so it has very good power as is. Here are the plans that I have to go forward with now, because this is all I have now...

I am bolting my Muncie 21 to this LSx. I am going to use a hyd throw out bearing, and keep the trans old school. The only thing I am kicking around now is...Keep it fuel injected, or go with the Edelbrock Performer RPM Carb swap and give it that old school look there... We will see!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-17-2012, 11:06 AM

Send a message via AIM to SS Shaun

i to have that same issue. i have an LSx in my garage with a 454 sitting in the chevelle still dont know what to do up to today!
Old 04-17-2012, 02:34 PM

**Edited spam quote**

^^^^^^Spam?
Old 04-17-2012, 04:49 PM
Administrator Bowtie Member

Yup its spam. All cleaned up now.